3 - Energy

A/N: I've included a picture of what I imagine Esther looks like, with all her cosmetic and hair styling glory. Remember, this does take place in the fifties, so they're all styled accordingly. Isn't she gorgeous? 

Again, as I've said before, the program I write on doesn't format correctly when I pull it here, so if there are any parts that seem off, or parts where Power's talking and it's not italicized, LET ME KNOW so I can fix it! 

Let me know what you think about George at the end of this chapter. :) Toodleoo, lovelies!

“I’m so sorry, Kate. I had no idea it was going to go right for you,” Ed apologized again to me as we all walked down the corridors leading back to Ward F’s lounge. His already pale face was a shade even lighter than normal, and I could see the whites all around his lime green irises as he watched me, no doubt looking for any sign that I might be angry with him.

I offered him a smile, waving my hand around in what I hoped was a dismissive manner. “Don’t worry about it, Ed. No harm, no foul, yeah?” Honestly, I just wanted him to drop the subject so I could put more effort into listening to John and Esther, who walked several yards behind the rest of us, their voices low and hushed. Each time I turned back to glance at them, one of them would catch my eye and pass me a weak smile that didn’t reach their eyes before speaking again to the other. My heart pounded in my chest, terrified that they knew and hated me now.

Ed let out a loud, relieved breath and smiled shakily back at me before walking further ahead, probably just as anxious to be away from that conversation as me.

As we all made our way back to the comfort of our familiar and relaxing lounge, Lottie took a detour into the ladies room and George stopped across the hall from the restroom door, leaning against the wall, his muscled arms folded across his narrow chest. As my feet carried me past him, he reached out and stopped me, holding my elbow with a gentle grip to keep me beside him. I stopped and stared at him, positive that my fear and turmoil announced themselves loud and clear in my eyes. He waited, neither of us speaking, until John and Esther moved past us, so deep in a whispered conversation I wasn’t sure if they even knew they’d passed us by.

I only just caught the quietest snippet from Esther as they floated by, both with studious, concerned expressions adorning their faces.

The radio broadcast said the woman slit their throats, John. All twenty of them in one night.”

The lump in my throat doubled in size as my breath caught in my lungs behind it. I forced myself to calm down and not panic as I watched their backs while they walked farther and farther away. Dread coursed through my veins alongside the blood that was making my head dizzy with the speed at which my heart pumped it through my veins.

It’s over. I’ll be isolated. Again…

“Kate the Great, huh?”

I jumped, startled out of my pity party at the sound of George’s smooth, oily voice. His eyes, still cold, studied me, his lips still perched into a self-satisfied smirk.

“Come a little closer. I don’t want anyone to hear our conversation,” he instructed, and I obeyed without hesitation, desperate to beg him not to tell anyone about me. Leaning against the wall on one shoulder in front of him, I stared up at him and watched as he turned to face me also, bringing his face so close to mine that I could smell the spearmint on his breath.

“You know,” I blurted, my racing heart unable to bear the tension.

He smirked full on, chuckling a bit beneath his breath. “I do. I see Ernie did as well, though I expect all the orderlies do. And John and Esther will figure it out on their own soon enough, I suspect. If they haven’t already.”