Life Sucks, and Then You Die

A/N: Alrighty, I don't want to keep you from reading the story but for people who didn't see my last message on chappie uno, I changed the plot to something I found more interest in. It's still the same genera and everything so don't hurt me but I would like if you could re-read chappie uno and tell me what you think of this new....idea.

HAPPY READING! :D

***

        On a midnight train, I was crying my heart out on some guy that I didn't even know. My world was crashing down on me. As much as I hate to admit it, my mother was right. I was just a stupid child and I needed to grow up and face reality. I wasn't really running away for love or anything like that shit. Why would anyone love me, anyway?

        I was running away because of the emotional abuse I was given in that house. Constantly, my mother compared me to my older sister, Harley. She was just oh-so perfect. She had the attention of every boy she'd ever met, she had straight As all through high school and college was a breeze for her. Now, she was in Washington State with her newly wed husband, Rick. She was pregnant and was most likely going to give birth to a beautiful, perfect baby just like her. And of course, I'd be single and lonely my entire life.

        None of the guys in middle school or high school ever looked at me. I always used to wonder what was wrong with me until I just stopped caring. I'd always tell myself "Ver, its fine. One day you'll go to college and meet a nice boy and he'll love you, regardless of your flaws." But did that happen? No.

        Now, I was eighteen and completely confused. I was accepted to so many colleges but which one should I choose? It was September of what should be my freshman year of college, but I spontaneously ran away so I'll probably use this year as a gap year to figure myself out. 

        By this point in time, most people my age already have at least some idea of what profession they want to have as an adult. For me, I had no clue. My entire being was pointless, all I am is a waste of space. Maybe Harley will let me stay with her for a while. Maybe I should call her since I haven't seen her, or even heard from her for that matter, since her wedding eight months ago...

        Then I noticed something. Even though my eyes were tightly shut, tears streaming down my face I could still use my other senses. The strange boy that had stolen my book was hugging me tightly. Almost as if he was feeling exactly as I was. He didn't even say anything soothing. Nothing like, "its going to be alright...," because that'd be a complete lie. What did he know about me? Nothing. Who was he to know if things would get better for me? And for that, I gave him credit. Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't so bad after all.

        "You ran away, didn't you?" I pulled away from his shoulder just enough to see his face. I sniffled before forcing a nod. "And why is that?" He sounded so sincere when he asked, it was almost like he really cared.

        Usually, I would be more hesitant and suspicious to why he suddenly changed from sulky-depressed-teenage-dude to invading-my-personal-space-bubble-dude, but instead  I shook my head. It took me a few minutes to unclog the lump that had risen in my throat so I was capable of attempting to speak.

        "I d-don't t-th-ink you'd under-rstan-d-d," I stammered. His eyes hardened and a sly smile crept onto his face as something occurred to him.

        "Try me," he challenged. Now I was determined that whatever response I would give him, it would have to be smooth and controlled.

        "My mother," he stared at me as if to say 'go on'. "I hate her. All she does is compare me to my older sister who's perfect and everything while I'm the messed up one with all the issues and negativity and now I'm all alone, and and and-" I couldn't finish I just burst into another fit of sobs.

        I could almost feel my mother's ice cold breath in my ear as she spoke in my mind: Get away from this stranger and come home before I take away your cell phone. Okay, maybe that wasn't exactly what she'd say. She'd probably be a little more pissed than that, but what could she do? I was eighteen, therefore I was fully legal to be my own gaurdian. As for the cell phone deal--easy. I left it on the counter next to a sticky note that in elegant cursive, clearly read:

        Mom,

                In case you haven't noticed, I left. And if you're lucky I won't be coming back for a while. I'm over eighteen so calling the cops won't be useful for you in any way possible. And by the way, here's my phone . Nice try. (I know you chipped it).

        -Verity

        "You're not completely alone." His warm, relaxed voice pulled me out of my thoughts. Then I remembered how he'd said he didn't have any place to go, either. "I took the first midnight train I saw, prepared to go anywhere."

        "Anywhere," I mused.  I wiped the tears across my face with the back of a shaky hand.

        "Why did you run away?" I could have sat upwards if I wanted to, but for some odd reason I didn't.

        "I didn't really run away, sorry," he apologized as a result of my tragic, loner expression. "But I left home within the past hour or so."

        "Eh...?" He was teenager, moving out from god knows where without any place to go. At least I had some sort of idea of where to go.

        "What did your mother say?" The first question that popped into my head left my lips before I could even think much of it. He seemed surprised but responded in a more relaxed way.

        "She wasn't really happy about it but she knew it was a good idea." In what fucked up way did that make any sense?

        "Uh, okay. So where are you headed?"

        "Anywhere," he grinned cockily at me. "And you?"

        "No where specific," I felt slightly guilty for breaking our little echoing game. "But I think I might go to Washington."

        Wait a second, did this train even go as far as Washington State? He seemed to be thinking the same thing judging by the way his right eyebrow shot up. "My sister lives there," for some reason I felt expectant, as if he were going to ask why I would ask to stay with her if I hated being compared to her. It was a good thing he didn't, though because there would have been no understandable way to answer that.

        "Oh." I never knew one, simple word could be the entire ending of a conversation. He averted his eyes towards the window behind our seats where warm colors met cool colors in the most beautiful sun rises I've ever witnessed in my life.

        "Wow." Again, one word could mean so many things. It could definitely mean the end but it could also mean the beginning just the same.