Chapter 1

Manitou, Colorado
Present Day

A blast of air ripped through the canopy of golden aspens behind me with a thundering roar- sending a whirling tidal wave of gold and yellow to consume the entire forest.

The way the leaves encircled and showered everything in sight was breathtaking and almost magical, but the sudden gust of wind forcefully tussling me further down the path was particularly annoying.

With my back hunched and jacket tucked tightly around my neck, my teeth instinctively gritted together as I fought against the overwhelming force of wind and pivoted around to catch a quick glimpse of the weather. Towering columns of dark gray clouds have already swallowed up the sky and the entire looming majesty of the Rocky Mountains, and the sun seemed to gasp and struggle to reach out through the closing pocket of blue sky.

Fall was arriving unnervingly early.

Yet again, this was Colorado, a land of surprises when it came down to the weather.

"Matthew, I'm not done yet!" Screamed my sister, Autumn, who was ironically just as enraged and wild as the current weather of the incoming season.

However, I suppose she had a right to. Visiting the principal's office for the tenth time did not sit well with my sister, especially after the principal made it exceedingly clear to her and my family that the next chat with him would be my last.

My suspension was what he probably dreamed of the moment I was first sent to his office, and by the looks of it his little fantasy may come true. I was and always will be alright with the reality of no longer attending the hell hole that they called a charter school; however, I did not like how his portrayal of me rubbed off on my sister. Now, she paints me as some no good, empty-headed delinquent.

Almost copying Principal Geoffery verbatim, Autumn first lectured me on how I disappointed everyone's expectations by picking a fight with the captain of the football team. Then, she went on to explain the consequences of these behaviors if I continued them- failing to create anything unique that hasn't been mentioned by Mr. Geoffery.

Then somehow this led her to recount previous incidents that happened earlier today, where she found out that I had been using her face towel to wipe my feet for about four years.

Rage induced rants about messing little things up like the towel and not cleaning up my room from a maniacal sister were not exactly my favorite sorts of monologs to tune into. Especially when she constantly twists and manipulates the situation, never failing to end in the conclusion that I was a screw-up and was on a path to failure if I continued this 'radical' behavior.

Not picking up my clothes will be what puts me out on the streets. Sounds like flawless logic and reasoning to me.

"Matthew!" My sister screamed furiously above the steadily increasing, wild howl of wind. Then stretching her hand out and digging her nails into my shoulder, Autumn violently spun me around.

At that moment, I couldn't decide which was more ominous- the brewing lightning storm or the budding wrath of my sister.

Scrunching my face together with distaste but also from the wind lashing sand and dirt into my eyes, I fervently yanked myself free from her grip- tumbling back a bit but immediately regaining balance.

"Not an ideal spot to talk, Autumn." I hissed before briskly resuming my reluctant trudge home. "Spill it all out at home if you even want to have a chance of me listening."

I was going to hear the same repetitive lecture from my parents. Might as well kill two birds with one stone and save my energy by blocking them all out at once.