Chapter 8

Miranda POV

I was currently in the coach's room of the gym, the rest of my day after Carla left the room today was actually a blur. I couldn't help but think about her, the amounts of scars and fresh cuts on just her wrist scared the hell out of me. I didn't even get to see the whole arm or the other one. After Carla left my classroom I went down to Mrs. White's office, "Can I please see Carla's file." She just looked at me and shook her head, "You're not going to give up are you." I just looked at her confused and shook my head. She reached behind her and pulled out her file and handed it to me, before I left the office I heard, "Miranda be careful of what you are getting yourself into, sometimes it's just not worth it." I didn't even bother to respond I just walked out of her office and closed the door.

I looked down at the file which I have yet to still open. What could have she meant by what she said. I opened her file and began reading, of course I already knew she was a good student by her grades, but there had to be something. I continued reading her file, no write ups, not many absences, she actually had perfect attendance through her freshman and sophomore year. I noticed last year she missed a couple of weeks of school which was shocking to me. I continued to searching through the papers, getting frustrated because I wasn't finding anything. At the back of the folder I finally found what I was looking for.

A Doctor's note from last year:

Please excuse Carla Smith from school from the dates of 11/01/2014 through 11/15/2014. Due to personal reason and death of a family members.

This caught my attention of course the note did not go into anymore detail, shit, I really need to find out what happened. I pulled out my phone and googled Carla Smith family obituary. I scrolled through a couple of links until I found what I was looking for. A newspaper article, on the front page with a picture of a vehicle completely mangled with the headline 2 Killed in fatal car wreck last night.

2 people were killed last night in a severe car wreck. The cause of the accident is unknown and is currently under investigation. Those who were fatally wounded were Terry Smith 52 and Hannah Smith 24. Both were air lifted immediately to the nearest hospital but were both pronounced dead on arrival.

I scrolled through to the next day's paper and found the obituary Terry Smith and Hannah Smith were Carla's mom and sister. It read on to say that they were survived by Husband and father Billy Smith, and daughter and sister Carla Smith. I put my phone down and put my hands in my head that's when I noticed today's date, next week is a year that her mom and sister have been gone. This poor girl is hurting in more ways than one and I'm determined to find out. I continued to sit there and figured now was a good time to go to the weight room. When I got close to the weight room I heard someone yelling,  "I fucking hate you, why did you leave me with him, why the hell couldn't I have been in that car also? Why couldn't I have died that night and all this shit would be over by now." I opened the door and the sight in front of me shattered my heart into a million pieces.

I ran over to Carla and wrapped my arms around her waist she was on the ground crying hysterically, I pulled her into my lap, I could feel her tense at my touch but she just laid her on my shoulder and buried her face into my neck. "Shhh it's ok, I'm here, just let it out, I've got you, nobody's going to hurt you."

She continued to cry for a few more minutes, then she slowly raised her head up and looked at me, her pretty blue eyes were all red and puffy from crying, "I'm sorry." She said. I look into her eyes and I brought one of my hands to wipe her tears and she flinched back but she let me touch her, "Please don't be sorry, It's ok, why are you crying?" I wanted her to tell me, I didn't want her to know that I basically internet stalked her.

Carla started talking, "Monday will be a year that my mom and sister have been dead. They were killed in a car accident." she turned her head and I could tell she was trying not to cry. I put my hand under her chin and turned her face to me, "I am so sorry, Carla." the way she was looking at me I knew there was more but I didn't want to push my luck. I continued to stare at her and before I could think I started to lean in I could feel her breath catch, I was only inches away from her lips.