chapter 13

Iris woke up completely naked. She was wantonly sprawled across Nikolas’ chest; her hand laying above his heart. When she tried to move away, his arm came around her and held her tighter against him. It was then that she noticed he was awake. 

“Should I apologize?” he asked. 

Iris knew he was referring to the bite and nothing else. 

“It isn’t necessary.”

She sat up suddenly, unabashed by her nudity. He’d seen her naked too many times for her to worry about hiding her body now. Nikolas followed her into the restroom where they brushed their teeth. Iris decided to take a quick shower and when she walked into the kitchen, Nikolas had breakfast on the table. She did a double take, of course, because she hadn’t expected him to cook for her. In fact, she hadn’t expected him to know his way around a kitchen at all. 

“I hope you like pancakes.” 

Although his back was to her, Nikolas had sensed her presence. He turned now and grinned. Iris was wearing a silk robe that clung to her skin where it was still wet from the shower. Her hair was wet and dripping. He couldn’t believe how sexy she was without even trying. He had slept with countless women and met many more but he had never come across one whose natural beauty far surpassed that which makeup could achieve. He walked to her and hooked a finger through the sash holding the robe closed. 

“But if you don’t, I’m sure I can satisfy your hunger some other way.”

“Oh Nik,” she laughed, “Is that all you think about? Give me some syrup and I’ll be perfectly happy with just the pancakes.”

Nikolas kissed her forehead unexpectedly and his smile was tender. 

“I’m going to run a quick errand, I’ll be back before you’re finished. Then, I hope you packed something light and comfortable because I’m taking you out on the water.”

“On what?”

Nikolas backed away with a grin and stopped just as he reached the doorway. 

“You’ll see.”

Iris shook her head when, in a flash, he was gone. She decided it was better to take advantage of the meal he’d made for her than to worry about what new idea that man had running through his head. The pancakes were superb, the home made orange juice was tangy, and the French toast made her sigh in delight- there was no doubt about it, Nikolas wasn’t playing fair. True to his word, he was home before she had all the dishes washed. He came up behind her, startling her a little, and pulled her away from the sink.

“Nik!”

“Don’t scold me, it’s not my fault your senses aren’t as good as mine.”

“Oh shh, it is too your fault. Are you going to tell me what you’re planning; or should I say plotting?”

Nikolas pretended to be offended but the illusion was shattered when he broke into a grin. 

“Go put something comfortable on over a bikini and you’ll see.”

“But why can’t-”

Nikolas put his finger over her lips to stop her from talking. Without moving it away, he moved forward till they were nearly nose to nose.

“I recall we had a deal about a romantic date. Well, if you’ll cooperate, I’d like to get my side of it started.”

****

Nikolas hadn’t given her much clue as to what they were doing but at least he had told her what she might need to bring. From all the bathing suits she’d bought for the trip, the only one she’d truly fallen in love with was a two piece with a bandeau top in crimson red and a regular side-knot bottom. She modeled it in front of the mirror a moment to make sure she still liked it and was very pleased. It was low coverage, true, but definitely more her style than the thong bikini. Now the challenge was to find something to wear over it. If she was right in her suspicions and Nikolas was going to take her out on some boat, a dress wouldn’t be the best idea; the wind would constantly be lifting it up or tangling it between her legs. If they were in fact going on a boat a pair of shorts and a cute top were probably more suitable. However, would that still be suitable for a romantic date? Iris didn’t want to seem like she didn’t care about the date because she did care, very much so. Finally, after much deliberation, the settled for a pair of jean shorts and a black lace-up top. Since her outfit was so simple, she decided to wear a silver necklace with a black sun pendant. When she stepped out of the room, Nikolas was sitting on the loveseat, his eyes closed as if he were asleep. He opened them before she could call him and the look on his face spoke for itself. His eyes studied the intricate design of her top and she could tell he was thinking about ways to get it off easily. He was mistaken if he thought it would be simple.

“It reminds me of England in the 18th century,” he chuckled. 

Iris did a quick turn for his benefit and nearly gasped when she came back around. He had moved so quickly, she hadn’t seen his intention before he was pulling her against him and kissing her senseless. 

“You tempt me you know that,” he groaned against her lips. 

Iris was breathing heavily by the time he stepped back. Nikolas looked from her kiss-swollen lips to her blushing cheeks with satisfaction; Today was theirs to enjoy but tonight… he’d take her places she could only imagine and when he sunk into her, the stars themselves would be witness to their pleasure.