Short Love Story

I wrote this story because a friend wanted me to tell her one, so here it is!!! haha 

________________________________________________________________________

There once was a prince named Michael. He lived in a grand castle by the shore and could get whatever he wanted. Except one thing.

A bride.

Michaels parents had arranged a marriage between himself and the daughter of a noble neighboring king. The daughter, Julia, had welcomed the marriage, as Michael was well known throughout the country as being a kind and caring man. However, Michael's heart did not belong to Julia. It was captivated by a girl named Katrina. 

Katrina was a maid in the castle that Michael lived in. They met one afternoon when Katrina was assigned to changing the linens in his room. Michael had come in to his room to find her reading his book of stories laying open on his bed.

She had apologized profusely, but Michael was more concerned with what she thought of his tales. She said she had been enthralled by every word and wished to read more. So from then on each week they would meet and he would read a new chapter or tale to her. Throughout this process, Michael had fallen compleletly in love with Katrina.

However, now his parents had assigned him a wife. 

And he had no choice but to go through with it. To go against his family's wishes could end in disownment and loss of the throne. 

Katrina didn't know about his feelings for her and now he wasn't sure she ever would. 

For the next few weeks he continued meeting with Katrina, while at the same time preparing for the wedding. 

On the last time he and Katrina met before he was to marry Julia, he said to Katrina, "This will be the last time that we can meet. Once I am married I will not be allowed to be seen with other women alone regardless of the matter."

Katrina didn't answer right away. Then she asked, "Do you love her?" 

When Michael didn't reply right away, she continued, "If you can't say yes to that right away, then you won't be happy. Find somebody you love and go after them, no matter what the cost." They locked eyes for a few seconds and then Michael left.

But he decided to follow her words. He was going to talk to his father.

Michael approached his father the king two days before the wedding. 

"Father, I have urgent business I need to discuss with you."

His father motioned for him to sit.

"Father, I don't wish to marry Julia. I've fallen in love with someone else."

The king was still then asked, "who is it?"

"Katrina, the maid."

The king became very distraught. "a maid? You can't marry a maid! Do you know how that would look to the public, and to Julia's father?"

"yes I do," Michael nodded, "and I know you will have every reason to deny me the throne and disown me, but I'm willing to accept that for her."

The king stood up and turned his back to his son.

"leave me."

Michael did as he was told. He left and went to where Katrina lived. It was a little section of the castle appointed for the servants and maids. He knocked on her door and she swung it open, a surprised face showing. 

"I need to tell you something," Michael the Prince said To her.

She let him in and before she could ask anything, Michael continued.

"Katrina, since I met you I've been falling in love with you and can't stop thinking about you. When you said today to pursue what I loved, I knew that it was you. I don't care what my family does to me, you mean more to me than anything they can do to me. So, Katrina, would you do me the honor of becoming my wife?" he got down on one knee and and took her hand in his.

A tear of joy escaped from her eye and she smiled and proclaimed, "Yes!"

He stood up and embraced her.

"I love you," Michael whispered.

"I love you too," she replied. 

The next day Michael went to deliver the news to his father. He entered the kings quarters and stated to his fathers figure standing face away from him, "Katrina and I are getting married."

His father turned, and a smile slowly crossed his lips. "Your mother and I talked last night, and we decided that to deny you of your love would lead to worse things than an annoyed friend. We already have all the wedding plans made from you and Julia, so you can wed tomorrow."

Michael embraced his father and thanked him.

The following day Michael and Katrina married.

They remained married for all their years, and while it wasn't always happily ever after, their love for each other stayed strong and they weathered the storms and trials. The older they got the more they fell in love with each other.

So they didn't leave happily ever after, but they did live in love forever.