Chapter One - Introduction

-- 3 years ago --

As me, my family and my close friends stood in the field, listening to the ceremony and speeches for my father, tears were welling up inside me with no signs of stopping. It was only a matter of minutes until they escaped.

"Now David's son Tristan will say a few words."

I looked at my brother and went to stand beside him. "You can do this, just say it like we rehearsed" I assured him.

Tristan and I, we knew we'd be hysterical when making our speeches at dad's service, so we rehearsed in front of each other to try and get to grips with the harsh reality.

Tristan inched ever so slowly to the podium and I tried to give my most encouraging look, which was tough given the situation. He delivered his speech perfectly, it was when he exited the podium and came to stand with the rest of us he let his emotions get the best of him. I tried my best to not do the same (i'd composed myself from before, just about), then I was called to the podium.

"David's daughter Kaylee will say a piece for her father." I took a deep breath, squeezed my mother's hand and walked to the podium. I got three lines into my speech and started bawling, despite every nerve and my conscience telling me otherwise. My best friend, Kimmy, had to come and finish the speech for me whilst I leant my head hopelessly on her shoulder. As we made our way back to everyone else, my uncle went to deliver his piece for his brother, and some of his work mates took it in turns to pay their respects.

During the third speech after mine, Kimmy had to go, and I immediately felt more alone, depsite being surrounded by my closest friends and family.

By the end of the piece, I began to shake, due to the extreme cold gripping me, and the fact I was still heavily breathing because of the hysterical crying I did earlier and was on the cusp of beginning again. I suddenly felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist, and I lifted my head to see one of Tristan's bandmates (and best friends) Connor looking down at me.

"Kay, you did amazingly up there. Your dad's so, so proud of you right now" he said soothingly, as I was still shaking.

It didn't even process in my mind that one of Tristan's best friends had his arms around me, I was just thankful someone was there.

"Thankyou, Con" I replied softly, trying not to let my voice shake as much as I thought it would.

I put my arms over his and he intertwined our fingers. I didn't let slip the fact that I hated myself for not finishing the speech, it would make everything worse. He kissed my forehead and rested his head on mine. For the rest of the service, we stayed in that embrace, and I was so, so thankful to Connor for that. I kept sparing glances at Tristan to see if he had noticed, but he, Brad and James- his other bandmates - had not broke their stare from my father's coffin. I felt instantly guilty.

The end of the service came, and Connor's grip loosened as I, Tristan and my mother thanked everyone for coming and directed them to the reception, as my father always wanted for his funeral. It was all to my father's last detail, the service, and although everyone told the three of us it was the perfect send off for him, we felt something wasn't right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah not many fanfics start with a flashback but it's important to the plot/storyline, so hopefully it will make sense! Oh, and from the next chapter onwards it's back to present day, unless it says at the top it's a flashback again :) x