Chapter 1

“Hey can you pass me some of your chips Mom?” 

“You had yours and you're after mine now huh?”

“Am I not your favorite kid?” I battered my eyelashes at her 

She rolls her eyes, “You're my only kid.”

“THE POINT OF PASSING ME SOME OF YOUR CHIPS”

“Just give the girl some Margaret,” my dad tells my mom

“I love you daddy!” I reach forward and plant a kiss on his cheek. As I was doing so, he moves his cheek back so I could reach him easily. While he was doing that, he didn't see the white truck coming towards their car.

“DADDY LOOK OUT,” I shouted while my mother shouted “DANIEL!”

My dad swerves the car to the other direction while the truck driver just honks, going in the same direction, making no effort to stop the truck. Our car gets unstable and all of a sudden, our car was upside down, screeching at some speed. I held on to my mom and dad, trying to not let go. When the car came to a stop, I just uttered out one word: 'James' and then all that surrounded me was darkness. 

*****

6 months later

My throat was dry, I didn't know where I was and pretty much who I was. I wanted water, I tried opening my eyes but it was just too much of an effort. I didn't give up though, I tried harder and the first thing I saw was bright light. It was just too bright for me. I tried saying 'curtains' to tell whoever was near me (if there was anyone near me) to get rid of the light.

“She's up! She's finally up,” some guy said, “I can't believe it. I'll just call the nurse. Please hold on for a second.”

My eyes adjusted to the light and the shapes around me were a complete blur.

“Everything is very blurry,” I said in a slow and low voice.

 The same guy said, “Could you repeat that miss?”

 “Blur. Everything is a blur.”

 “Oh okay. Just hold up, the doctor will be here soon.”

 I mumbled an 'okay' that sounded like 'mmk'.

My vision was getting clearer and I could tell when a nurse came in to check me out. “Ah so you're finally awake Ms. Edwards!” she told me. The nurse was an old woman who made me think of her as a grandma. She checked my blood pressure, and my temperature – the usual stuff.

She called me 'Ms. Edwards'. Is that who I was? What was my first name? I wanted to ask her more about me so I asked her, “Ms. Edwards...?”

The nurse was a little stunned, “Oh baby Jesus.” After a long pause, she said, “I'll call your doctor immediately.”

She left and for the first time I realized that I was with an unknown guy. “Um, I'm sorry but do I know you?”

 He came forward and said, “Hi I'm Liam”

 I laughed a little and said, “I'm sorry but that still doesn't answer my first question. Do I know you?”

 Liam was a little hesitant and after a pause of a minute or two, he finally said, “I was the one who saved you during the accident. I was on the same road as you when the accident happened.”

 I took in a sharp breath. “Was there anyone with me during the...thing?”

 “Your parents.”

 “Where are they?”

 He didn't answer me. I gave a little laugh and said, “they're dead aren't they?”