Chapter 1 - R.18

It's always terrifying to start all over again, but I've done it before. This school year are going to be different, I just know it. I have always been that quiet girl who sit in the back of the room avoiding eye contact. For 16 years, I've been the girl you can't talk to, because she never speaks. Never again. Ever.

"You need help with your stuff?" My mom asked as she pulled over the car. The school was a little building compared to any other school. It had a big white glass door as entrance, and the walls were pretty much just one big panorama window. From what I could see of the inside, it was a pretty new school, with fancy, ordinary furniture.
"No thanks" I said smiling, "I'll do it myself."
My mom nodded and waved, "bye then. Call home sometime."
I nodded and opened the car door. My heart was beating a thousands miles per hour. I took my backs and started walking over to the front door.
"Hello, what's your name?" He was a tall man with dark hair that matched his hazel brown eyes. He's handsome.
"Maya" I replied.
"Hi Maya, I'm Louis, one of the teachers here. You'll be staying in room number 18, I think your roomies already are here."
I nodded and opened the glass door. The foye was a big room with white floors and walls. There were placed four tables near the walls, and nothing else.
"Hi, I'm Angela" a young, short woman with long blonde hair poked me on my shoulder.

"Hi" I replied.

"What room?" She smiled wide.

"18" I didn't look her in her eyes, the shy girl is back.

"Turn right in the end of the foye, and the first hallway to your right. There's numbers on the doors" she still smiled.
I just nodded and started walking towards my room.
I could see everyone already had found friends, some were even starting to flirt with each other.
I stood outside room number 18, or R.18 as it was called. I could hear someone was walking around inside. "Hi" the person said. "Hi" I replied and entered the room. Your roomies are already here. Liar. I started to unpack my backs in silence. Say something you idiot. I had no idea what to say to her. Hey, you've been sent to this prison too? Nope. She were a tall girl, with short blonde hair and bright blue eyes. Don't think I'll ever be good friends with her. She arranged her makeup on our sharing desk. "I'm Megan" she said.
I smiled, "I'm Maya."
As the time went by, our two last roomies arrived. Laura, normal height, long blonde hair almost white, and green eyes. Sarah, a short girl, brown skin, long brown hair and matching eyes. All three quickly became friends, and I? I'm still the quiet girl.

We later had to do these 'games' so that we could get to know each other. Bullshit.
I stood on the sideline watching the rest playing football.
"You don't want to join?" A guy walked over to me.

"I can't play football" I replied.

"Me neither" he laughed, "is it hard to start here?"

"I guess so."

"This is my second year, you're gonna like it here."

"I don't know."

"I'm Nate, and you?"

"Maya."

"Maya. If you need help, find me in R.13."

I smiled, "thanks."
The day passed by, and all in all, I've made one new friend, and it's my first day! That didn't change the fact that if I wasn't with Nate, I was still the same shy quiet girl. We had a great time together, and I started to like him more, and more. Maybe, a bit too much? I've just got a friend, I didn't want to ruin it by starting to "flirt" with him. This school has this wall of hearts, where all the students names were on. The wall was divided into three sections, 'single', 'flirts' and 'relationship'. already on day one, there were two "couples" in the flirt section. I promise myself, I don't want to leave the single section, I do not want to hang on that wall.                                                                                                                                    The clock was 10PM, and we had to be on our own hallways. That resulted in me sitting in my bed on my phone, and my roomies being out visiting others. They had already found a bunch of friends, and I think I was the only one who hadn't found more than 5 friends today. Someone knocked on my door, and I begged it was Nate. And it was. "Hey" he smiled and crawled up the bunk beds ladder and sat next to me.

"Hi" I smiled. I had company.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine" Except from the fact that you're the only friend I have.

"Good, good" He smiled, "I just came to say goodnight."

"Oh, goodnight."

"Sleep tight" he hugged me.

I smiled wide as he crawled down the ladder, he smiled back at me. Now I could go to bed happy.          I fell asleep a while after that, so that I didn't have to have a long conversation with my roomies, or listen to them talk about all the friends they've got today and all the makeup they had. But from a scale from 1-10, today has been like a 4, which isn't bad, bud could be better. I could feel tomorrow was gonna be alright, and it was gonna be, if I hung out with Nate. Before I had the change to proper fall asleep, Megan, Laura and Sarah came in, making all the noise they could. Probably not on purpose, but still. They were talking about some guy that obviously were incredibly fine.

"He smiled at me!" Laura yelled.

"Omg, you're so lucky" Sarah replied.

"He's so hot, like, omg" Megan added.

"Is Maya sleeping? I haven't seen her all day" Sarah asked.

"Maya?" Megan poked me on my shoulder, but I refused to answer, "I guess she's sleeping."

"Bummer, I'd like to aske her about Nate" Sarah said giggling.

"He's kinda cute" Laura added.

"Are you kidding? He's such a weirdo!" Sarah said laughing.

"He's probably a nice guy. If Maya likes him, we gotta give the guy a change, no matter how weird he is" Megan said giggling.

I didn't like Nate, what are they talking about. I know he's no supermodel, but I think he's cute. I admit he isn't like all the other guys, but I guess that's why I like him. I'm not like everyone, especially not my roomies. I'm not a beauty queen that only cares about clothes, makeup and boys. 9 months 'till this school year is over. I'm counting the days, one by one.