Preface- Forgotten

Preface~ Forgotten

"Thanks for the memories, thanks for the memories..."

The chorus of Kayley Hopkirk's favourite Fall Out Boy song droned on and on from her mix tape.

She was at perfect ease in her royal blue bedroom. She had her comfiest jeans on, her long ginger hair was piled into a loose bun on her head. She was slouched on her bed; which would be uncomfortable for many--but Kayley thought it was the most comfortable position in the world.

The song finished, and a message played on the mix tape.

"Well that's the end of the mix tape, Kayley! I hope you loved it! I had a great jam while making it! Happy thirteenth birthday!" Aurora Oswin's bouncy voice travelled from the tape.

Then it was over, the silence from the tape unbearable. Kayley sighed deeply, and felt tears bud in her eyes.

She missed Rory, she really did. Rory had been the one who kept her calm, and served some normality in her chaotic life. Kayley had an alcoholic brother who had awful withdrawal symptoms that caused him to turn extremely angry. Kayley's mother wouldn't help with him. She was too terrified.

Kayley felt unsafe in her very home, and she sometimes wished she was born into a different family--like Rory's.

Rory's family was stable, safe and happy. All that Kayley had yearned for just over fourteen years.

But Kayley hadn't seen Rory for over a year. Not since Adeline Fitzgerald's hair caught on fire in Chemistry.

Kayley had been sure that she saw flames shoot from Rory's hands, and was astounded by it. Everybody else claimed that she had thrown the Bunsen burner at Adeline's head.

Kayley had been desperate for answers, but she couldn't see Rory. Her elder sister Lacey had announced to the school that she was crazy and had been sent to a 'special' school.

But Kayley just couldn't see Rory as being mentally unstable. But even if Lacey's story was a pack of lies--Rory had been ignoring Kayley.

She had phoned their house countless times, written so many letters.

It was as if Rory had erased Kayley from her life.

A knock at the door interrupted Kayley's train of thoughts. She did nothing, she just waited for her Mother to answer the door.

But the knocking became for persistent, and it was becoming urgent. Kayley groaned and got to her feet.

She peered out of her bedroom window, to see somebody she recognised. Somebody who could inform her about Rory.

She almost sprinted down the stairs, and flung the door open. Kayley saw this person as an ally, somebody who could help her.

Little did she know that this was the traitor, and that he was plotting Rory's downfall.

"Hello," Kayley said breathlessly. "Haven't seen you in a while!"

"I've been preoccupied," The traitor smiled falsely.

"Any news about Rory?" She said, getting straight to the point.

The traitor smiled again, but it was becoming more of a twisted smile. "Why don't you ask her yourself?"

"She's in that special school, according to Lacey. Anyways, it's as if she's forgotten me!" The hurt was evident in her tone.

"What would you say if I told you that it could be true." The traitor continued.

"What are you on about?" Kayley asked, feeling exasperated.

"She has forgotten names, basic bits of information. Why would she remember you?"