Chapter 6

*Lila's POV*

I was lost. I got away from my sister and found some diner named Chicky’s. Could this place get any weirder? A diner named Chicky’s and guys hitting on me? The only thing that hadn’t changed was the guy who I could tell was falling for Nettie.

The minute she said hi to him I could see on his face he was hooked. Its not like I can just go and tell him my sister is a big ole man-eater. She’s still my sister and she’s been protecting me since forever.

I just wish she would back off with the guy who I talked to. He probably thinks I’m a big liar who just didn’t want to talk to him. But I did want to talk to him, he was cute and funny. I’ll probably never see him again after that.

I dug through my bag to find money. I opened the small pocket of my bag and I saw an envelope. On the front it said, to Lila. I had no clue it was in there.

I opened it and read:

Dear Lila,

I know you and sister may be disappointed in us for not telling you the truth. We just wanted to protect you. I know you might not trust me right now, but you need to. Knowing your sister being away from us won’t be enough so she’ll move you somewhere else. She’s running away from us and won’t hear what we have to say. We never wanted you 2 to find out the way you did. It doesn’t matter who your real parents are right now just that we love you and we had a family. This letter might not change your mind, but just look out for your sister. She gets herself into more trouble than she needs to.

Love,

Mom

I don’t understand. She just let us leave and she knew we would. The woman who raised us, who I thought was our real mother but wasn’t.

I couldn’t stop the tears coming down my face. I really was lost. I’m in a new city and I don’t even know who my real parents are. Everything I knew was a lie. The big house we grew up in and the perfect life was all a lie.

Why were we even here? Why did Nettie choose this place?

“Excuse me miss? Are you ok?” a worker asked.

“Yeah I’m fine just something in my eye,” I lied.

“She’ll have the apple pie with a scoop of ice cream Jerry.”

The girl next to me said.

“Umm you didn’t have to do that.”

“Well for one you’re crying and two apple pie helps when you’re sad.”

“Thanks.”

“I’m guessing you’re new here.”

“Yeah I am. Is it that obvious?”

“Kind of. Anyway I’m Arianna.”

“I’m Lila.”

******

I finished my pie and read the letter again. I was still confused about everything, but I was getting used to Canton.

I actually made a friend and she was pretty cool. We talked for a while and then she left; now I was alone. That’s not new for me even with Nettie around and I’m sure she’s made some friends of her own.