Chapter One

1

‘Hello, my name’s David and I’m an alcoholic.’ David Smith nodded once in general greeting to everyone who sat with him in the small circle.

‘Hello David,’ came the collective response with varying degrees of interest. They were gathered in a small, fluorescent-lit room in Hove Community Centre.

David ran a hand through his short dark hair, and scratched his head. ‘Er, not a lot really going on with me right now. I’ve been sober for over two years and, well, as you know, it’s not always easy but, I’m getting there one day at a time.’ He shrugged. ‘Thanks.’ He looked at the group leader, Mary, to indicate he had finished.

‘Really, David?’ said Mary. ‘Nothing at all to share?’

‘No, not really. My girlfriend is going back to Germany this week, which is a bit of a bummer, but, you know, that’s life.’

‘Well, how do you think you’ll cope with that?’

‘Fine.’ David took a sip from his machine-vended cup of coffee.

‘Really?’

‘Yeah, I mean, it happens doesn’t it? People come, people go.’

‘Doesn’t happen to me,’ said a slightly chubby man opposite David. ‘My wife cleared off three years ago and I haven’t had a woman since. “People go” about sums it up for me.’

‘Please, Steve,’ said Mary. ‘You’ll get your turn to speak.’ She turned back to David. ‘Sorry David.’

‘No really, you go, Steve. I’ve got nothing to say. Honest.’

‘Are you sure?’ said Mary. ‘You know, if you think this situation with your girlfriend could be a problem ... ?’

‘No, I don’t, really. I don’t mean to sound shallow or anything but, it’s not a big deal for me. I’ll be fine.’

‘Be another one along in a minute eh, Dave?’ said Steve. ‘Like a number seven bus?’

David smiled and shook his head. ‘No, mate.’

‘I don’t know how you do it,’ said Steve. ‘I really don’t. I mean, it’s not like you’re much to look at, now is it?’

‘Oh, hark at Brad Pitt,’ said a woman to David’s left.

There were a few chuckles around the circle before Mary brought things to order again. ‘Thank you, Carol. Can we just let David speak please?’

David shrugged. ‘I’ve spoken, Mary. That’s it. I’m fine, no worries. Ask him if you don’t believe me,’ he pointed to Steve. ‘He’s my sponsor.’

‘Oh yeah,’ said Steve. ‘He’s fine all right. Have you seen that German bird of his? Bloody hell, anyone’d be fine who had that to come home to. And when she goes, seriously, there’ll be another one along before you can say “trousers”. There must be something in the chalk dust at that school he teaches at; them foreign birds throw themselves at him.’

Mary raised an eyebrow at David. ‘Do they?’

David smiled and shook his head. ‘No. I do meet the odd girl there, sure. But it’s never anything serious.’

‘And ain’t that just the way you like it, eh?’ said Steve with a wink.

David turned to the man next to him. ‘Peter. I think it’s your turn.’

Peter sat back and folded his arms. ‘No, no. I’m enjoying hearing about this school of yours. What do you teach that has such an aphrodisiac effect?’