Chapter 5

Today was the first day of school. I catch the bus at seven o'clock in the morning, which means I am awake at the butt crack of dawn to get ready. I am hustling to get ready when my phone rings. I look down, it's a text from Kurt. I haven't spoken to him since our blow out. Out of curriosity I open it. "Ash, please, I'm really really sorry about what I did. I'm not seeing any one any more, I swear. I was truly happy with you and I don't know why I turned my back on you. Can we please get back together?" I was in tears by the time I was done reading it. It was true, I was happier when I was with him, I want to feel happy again.

 "We'll talk about it, K?" I texted back through tears rolling down my cheeks.

When I went to the bus stop I knew several of the kids from years past. Becca is on my same bus stop. I talk with her for a minute and then get on the bus. Becca sits with one of her other friends so I sit in an empty seat all by myself. The bus starts to go, but then suddenly stops. The doors open and in walks a tall guy, he must be at least a Junior in high school. I don't recognize him. He looks straight at me and then he starts walking down the isle of the bus. Theres an empty seat across the isle from me and he sits there, but he doesn't scoot all the way to the window, he sits on the very edge of the seat. He looks lost and scared, almost like a deer in headlights.

    When we get to the school which is in the next town over I stand up, everyone files out in single file from the front of the bus to the back. When its our turn he motions for me to go first. "Thanks," I say quietly, but in a friendly way. When I get inside the doors I notice that this guy is still behind me when I'm in the Freshman hall.

     "Man, I'm so lost," I hear him say. I turn around to look up at him, he towers like two feet over my head.

    "What year are you?" I ask him politely, willing to help him find his classes and locker because I need something to fill in for the thirty minutes of time before classes start.

     "I'm a Sophmore." His voice is deep, but its smooth and relaxed, its calming.

    "Ok, I'll help you find your locker and classes." We walk down the hall and take a right. "Alright, this is the Sophmore locker hall. Whats your locker number?"

    "Um, its 245 I believe." He is starting to get a little nervous, I can tell from the way his voice has changed from relaxed to almost a panic.

    "Ok, thats in the middle of the hall." I show him which one it is and he tries the combo a few times until he has it down. "Whats your first hour class?"

    "Spanish one with Mr. Sopher."

    "Hey, thats my first hour class too!" I try to sound friendly and help him to feel comfortable being a new student.

    "Awesome! I actually have a couple of questions I want to ask you."

    "Alright, ask away." I am prepared for anything at this moment in time.

    "First off, whats your name? And second, are you Mormon?" He sounded uncertain and a little scared.

    "I'm Ashlynn Sorensen, you can call me Ash, everyone does. And yes I am Mormon. Whats your name?"

    "I'm Nashton, and its good to finally meet a fellow Mormon." He smiled at me and he sounded a lot less scared. We stood there talking for a few minutes. "Would you be willing to show me where my other classes are?"

    "Of course I would. What are your next classes?"

    "English with Mrs. Holler, then Art with Mr. Bartholemew, then History with Mr. Norrer."