Chapter 4: Whatever

Chapter 4: Whatever

A true relationship is when you can tell each other anything and everything. No secrets. No lies. 

Applejack never lied. She always told me the truth, like she did yesterday. Is our relationship "true" then?

. . .

"Rainbow Dash!"

Rainbow's eyelids flew open at the familiar voice. She slowly lifted her head, finally looking up from her desk.

"What's up?" She asked the purple-haired girl, trying to sound as casual as possible. Twilight studied her for a moment.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I mean, why wouldn't I be?" she replied unconvincingly. Twilight shrugged.

"You didn't answer me and you were making eye contact with your desk... Are you sure you're alright?" Rainbow simply nodded. Twilight seemed to have bought the lie as she quickly shot the seated girl a small smile and walked back to her own desk. Rainbow turned around to find all the girls talking to each other. Class was just about to start and Applejack wasn't there yet, and for the first time, the rainbow girl was actually happy to see her empty desk. For the first time in her entire life, she was avoiding her. She turned back around and made contact with the desk once again.

"Where's Applejack?" she heard a familiar, soft voice ask behind her. It was Fluttershy.

"I'm not sure but she told me that she wasn't going to show up at school until next week," Rarity answered.

"What? Why? Is she sick?"

"No, she was busy with pie deliveries or something... I'm not sure, she didn't tell me much."

"Oh. Well, hopefully she's not too stressed out," Fluttershy replied.

Rainbow closed her eyes and put her fingers into her ears, desperately trying to block out the voices. She just needed a break from constantly being reminded of the blonde girl.

It felt like it had been hours until Rainbow Dash finally heard the school bells ring. She quickly grabbed her stuff and walked out, making her way to her locker and shoving all her things inside. When she closed it and turned around, she jumped in surprise. Four faces were standing before her, staring right at her.

"Are you alright, darling? You seem very... Stressed," Rarity said. The other girls nodded in agreement. Rainbow stayed silent for a while.

"I dunno what you're talking about," she said and walked around them. She really didn't feel like talking to anyone at the moment, but then she felt a hand on her wrist. She reacted surprisingly quickly as she turned around faster than ever before.

"WHAT?" she shouted. Twilight quickly let go of the hand, as if burnt, and stared at her with wide eyes, clearly taken aback. She looked more concerned than scared. Rainbow cleared her throat.

"Uh, I mean... What?" she corrected. The girls exchanged glances before Twilight decided to place a supporting hand on the cyan girl's shoulder.

"What's bothering you Rainbow?" she asked. She sounded calm. Too calm. Way too calm. Rainbow felt like screaming.

"Nothing," she lied. She tore Twilight's hand off her shoulder and turned around, walking away. This time, no one tried to stop her.

School was finally over and Rainbow Dash couldn't wait to get home. The whole day, she couldn't stop thinking about Applejack. And it hurt. But she had tried her best to ignore the pain completely. Maybe it would be better for her if she did as Applejack said and forgot about everything that happened between them. Maybe they weren't right for each other. Maybe it was just a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Or maybe-

"HI DASHIE!" She jumped in surprise, her heartbeat catching in her throat.

"Pinkie! What did you do that for!" she said and crossed her arms. Pinkie Pie gave her a big, bright smile in return.

"Ops! Sorry!" she giggled and put her arms around Rainbow's small frame, ready to bring the girl in for a big hug. Luckily, the victim managed to dodge it just in time.

"Now's not the time Pinkie," she muttered and started walking off.

"What? Why?" Pinkie Pie asked as she quickly caught up to the girl. "Are you tired? Sick? Angry? Sad?" The pink-haired girl paused for a second. "Or maybe, you're heartbroken?" Rainbow Dash stopped at the last word.

"What is it? Did I get it right?" Pinkie asked, her smile widening.

"Ugh, Pinkie... I don't have time right now."

"BUT WAIT!" She jumped to the front and blocked her friend from advancing any further.

"Pinkie Pie!"

"Don't you want to join me and the girls later? We're going to go to the smoothie place. It'll be super, duper fun!" she said. Rainbow could see the sparkles in her eyes. "Pleaseeee?"

"No." Rainbow walked around her.

"Pretty pleaseeee?" she begged. "It won't be the same without you! Applejack isn't here, and if you won't come either, it'll be super boring!"

Rainbow Dash kept walking, not even bothering to look back as she replied.

"Whatever."

A/N: I'm sorry that it's pretty short, I didn't have much time when I wrote this one.

- A