Chapter 4: Flashbacks

I had a friend who was always there. Since 8th grade I defended him against our judgemental peers. We dated in 9th grade and realized we were only meant to be friends. He hates my ex as much I love him. And it was because of my ex that he left me for some time. But he always came back to me. Because we loved each other, we were not in love. We were just best friends. And I figured, he'd always be in my life. And he promised he would. Always proved to be only four years.

"You what? Wait," I grabbed his sleeve. "No, you promised you'd always be there for me."

"Promises are made to be broken."

"Stop it, no. This is exactly what I was afraid of and you assured me I had no reason to be. You can't just leave me now." Tears threatened to spill.

"Sorry. But we just can't be friends anymore."

"Why? Why, is it because I'm a Christian? I was made fun of for being friends with the emo. I took it gladly." He sighed and turned away.

"Sarah, stop. You know it's not that."

"What else could it possibly be?! You promised you'd always be there even if Hell was up against me." He pulled his arm away from my grasp and met my eyes.

"Sarah. It's over."

"John no, no!" He walked away. Nothing more. I fell. My eyes were dangerously moist. Thanks to my religion, I was losing everyone I loved. "You promised me..."