The 16th Breakup

I walked through the cool brisk air to the local starbuck around the corner from my apartment to meet my boyfriend Nick. He had text me 10 minutes ago saying me to meet him here. I approached the door seeing Nick sitting at a far table in the back, his head down, our drinks already ordered. The little bell dinged above the door indicating my presence. Nick looked up and gave me a cute small smile that was so cute and heart warming that I had to smile back. I sat down and sipped from the heavenly iced mocha frappe drizzled with caramel and fudge .

You look nice today" he said making direct eye contact. Thats what I loved about Nick whenever he meant something truly and earnestly , he would look you dead in the eye with his ocean blue eyes, that you would feel it in your heart. I blushed and muttered a thanks, staring at my drink, elbows on the table. He reached for hands and and held them in this for a moment and then let go.

"Kathy, you know how much I love you right ? "

"Yes", I answered, my thoughts drifting back to when he first said it, during our second month of dating when he said the words and I knew he meant. 

"Thats why this is so hard. Kathy I think we should break up."

"What? Why?" I sputtered. I could feel the lump in my throat and my eyes welling. But I couldn't cry in front of him. So , I reached for my drink and took a large sip keeping the straw in my mouth so I wouldn't have to talk because I knew I wouldn't be able to stop the water works. 

"I just feel as if we would be better as friends." I was silent. I didn't know how to respond I mean, 4 months down the drain wasted on the one I thought was the one. 

" You understand ?"

" Yeah, sure thats fine." I grabbed my bag and got up from my chair. I headed for the door , just as the tears started.

" I'M SORRY KATHY, ITS WHATS BEST YOU'LL SEE." Nick yelled after me.  But I couldn't even respond I mean , I can't see, all I could see was my self with him and now thats over. What a waste of time. I could have been doing something else in my life. But who was I kidding, I would probably be with another bone headed guy. I got my keys out my pocket, seeing my apartment building coming up.