Chapter 9: Brave New World

Finally!!! Here you go, things are starting to warm up with a certian sombody... :)

Sorry for making you wait so long! Thanks! for waiting!

Emmet's view

I silently watch from the other end of the cave as Aurora tries to reason with with the mermaid. I couldn't help laughing at her facial expression when my sister told her how we communicated. The shock was so clearly written on her stunning face. We use the invisible links through the water that carry our messages to the merperson we desire. Although, everyone just uses the open links unless we need to tell a secret to someone but using a private link is a pretty hard skill to acquire. Luckily I've mastered it fairly well.

"Aurora, just leave the poor mermaid alone." I tell her privately.

She stubbornly replies, using the open link, "No. I don't even know her name yet."

"Yeah and you won't!" The mermaid huffs out and she crosses her arms but then her eyes grow twice the size. I sense her emotions rising into a new panic as she notices her transformed hands. "WHAT HAPPENED TO MY HANDS!?" She panics.

Aurora tries to calm the frantic mermaid, "They have formed connections between your fingers to make you swim faster, do not worry!"

"Im such a freak!" She whines again. A pang of disappointment hits me as I wonder why I am able to pick up on her emotions so well.

Aurora is clearly offended by the mermaid. "Excuse me? I could have let you die in the water but I chose to save you! We are not freaks. How dare you say that in front of the royal family?" She rants, the mermaid is stunned but stays quiet.

"Aurora, let's just leave her alone until she's learned some manners. Humans are quite unreasonable." I sneer, purposely using the open link.

The mermaid turns to face me. She's quite angry with me, I can tell from her raging emotions. "I hate you."

"Ouch." I snap back sarcastically, but in reality, ouch. That stung quite a bit at my heart.

"Just please tell us your name, this would make this a whole lot easier! I'm trying to help you here." Aurora pleas.

"NO." the mermaid snaps.

Aurora puffs out her chest but then smiles slowly at the sound of the mermaid's stomach rumbling. "You're hungry yes?"

"Obviously. I've been down here for hours!" She coldly replies.

Aurora steals a glance at me with a spark of victory in her eyes. "Then you are't going to eat at all until you corporate!"

The mermaid squints her eyes and stares at my gleaming sister. "Fine."

"Fine!" Aurora barks back. "Come on Emmet, let's leave her alone." Aurora swims past me and out of the cave and I reluctantly follow.

Charlie POV

I gotta get out of here! I thought to myself as the horribly hot, merman leaves with his annoying sister. Although, I'm not exactly sure how to use my new- tail. I groan out load but it's cut off as I remember I'm underwater! Fortunately I was able to breathe through my new gills. I shiver at the thought of me having gills but they are saving my life with every breath.

Glancing down I study my own tail. Golden scales start from my mid waist and travel all the way down where my legs used to be and are formed together to make a long, elegant tail. Faint silver lines mark the fins of my tail in an almost ancient-like writing. My tail feels heavy but the water around me makes it lighter than it is. I would be lying if I didn't think the tail, my tail, was beautiful. Looking up, I hope they are really gone before I grab the side of the cave with my hands. It's slimy and hard to hold on to from the sea life and algae, but I'm determined to get back to land.