Chapter 10 - Deidara

Deidara pov:

I had not stopped staring at the girl who had introduced herself as Emiko and offered to 'look after' me until I had settled in as a member of the Akatsuki. Her smile seemed sincere but I was still wary of her intentions.

"What the %#*& is wrong with you, b****? The new brat needs a %#*& nice welcome!"

I flinched when the grandpa freak yelled. Emiko merely twitched though. Retracting her hand, she stood straight to send a sharp glare at him. "Stop being a jerk for once in your life, Hidan. He's my responsibility now, so what I say goes. And I say you leave him alone. Of course, you can try to hurt him again if you want me to leave you hanging by a thread again."

My eyes went slightly wide in awe. She was talking back to him as if it was nothing, as if he couldn't do anything to her.

"Your responsibility? Says who, you %#*& b****?"

"Says Leader sama," she answered, a playful smirk coming to her lips. "So if you don't want to deal with me and him, I suggest you shut up and get out of the way."

He twitched at that, going a little pale. Then he scoffed and said, "Whatever, b****."

With that, he was walking away. Emiko laughed with a shake of her head but looked to the puppet when he decided to spout nonsense too.

"He's just a damn brat, you-"

Emiko looked to him and raised a brow, as if challenging him to continue. He muttered something under his breath in response and walked away, not bothering to say anything more. Well, I suppose that was impressive.

"Now then," she said with a beaming smile again, "why don't we head over to the kitchen? I'm sure you're hungry and I'll fill you in on your role in the Akatsuki while you eat."

She held out her hand for me to take again and I did take it this time. It was small and soft, much different from the hand of a shinobi, and it roused another blush on my face. Being an outcast, I'd never really spoken to any girls even if I wanted to but I didn't think it would be this awkward...or nice. However, her hold was firm as she dragged me behind her through the corridors of the Akatsuki's hideout until we reached the kitchen.

Emiko pov:

Seating Deidara at the dining table that was beside the open kitchen, I first reached for the first aid kit that was in one of the top shelves of the kitchen cupboard. Hidan had been a jerk again and had roughed up Deidara a bit, leaving a few scrapes on him and a busted lip. They had to be treated first before I got him something to eat.

I could have healed him with my medical Ninjutsu but it was against the rules Leader sama had laid down. He believed that unless a wound posed as a hindrance to daily activity, it was not to be healed using medical Ninjutsu. It had something to do with his odd ideology that pain had to be endured in order to be strong or whatever. Well, this was his organization and his rules were to be followed.

While I treated Deidara's wounds, first cleaning it with a clean, wet cloth, I was reminded of the times, so long ago, when I had treated wounds Sasuke had come home with after intense training sessions. I wondered if he was doing alright, if he was eating well and sleeping well and taking care of himself. I was reminded even more of because of the way Deidara was sitting - he sat with his legs crossed and a slight pout. My eyes stung but a small smile grazed my lips.

Deidara flinched and moved away from me when I tried to apply the antiseptic. I'm sure it burned but it would have to be endured. I reached to him to cup his face and hold him in place while I continued to apply the antiseptic - it roused a blush on his face. My smile widened slightly in amuse of his shyness. He also still seemed nervous and I decided to spare some small talk to ease it.