Chapter 1: Meet Nastasia Smith

*Nastasia's POV* (point-of-view)

“Get to your bars girls!” Ms. Kitchner yelled.

We all ran to the bars like we’ve always done. 3 days a week the same routine, the same chilling concentrated stares. We were here to dance, and one day maybe dance in a company with the greats.

Me, I didn’t know what I was here for anymore. Before, all I wanted to do was to wear pointe shoes and be on a stage. Then of course mommy dearest got involved. All she wants to do is brag about her over achiever daughter who just happens to have another great talent.

My dad doesn’t really care for it, which is a relief for me. A conversation that doesn’t involve asking if my turns are getting better, or telling me I need to lose weight.

Ughhh I need to get back to reality. First position, second position, third-

“Nastasia! Point your feet and relax your arms, your better than this!”

Yeah I’m better than this, right. I wish I still danced the way I used to, with heart and soul. I used to feel like I was walking on clouds when I danced. Now I’m just going through the motions. Like a puppet being strung along.

More than anything I want to get out of this room, away from these girls and this world.

“Hey you better get it together before she comes back around and loses it again.” Tori said.

I’ve known Tori ever since we were kids in our first ballet class. We were inseparable then, but now we’re further apart than ever. All she talks about is class and the scholarships she’s supposedly going to get. It feels like she’s turned into some ballerina robot.

It’s like that with all the girls in my class. They’re striving for attention from agents, ballet companies, and colleges. They all starve themselves or stuff then throw up. I promised myself I would never let it take me that far. It’s not worth losing myself for.

Gosh. I just need to get out here, somewhere where I can breathe. Being here makes me feel suffocated. I need some way out…Arianna.

“Ms. Kitchner!”

“Yes” she said, very irritated.

“I need to go to the bathroom.”

“Is it an emergency?”

“Umm do I have to go into details?”

“Go.”

It worked. It always works with her. Ms. Kitchner doesn’t like to hear about any of our bathroom problems. All she cares about is that we come back and finish her lesson.

I ran into the bathroom and made sure no one else was in there. I needed to call Arianna and make her save me from this hell.

I met Arianna in middle school while I was dating her brother Leo. That relationship ended fast, which turned out good for me. The only good thing out of that relationship was my friendship with Arianna. We’ve been friends ever since and she’s the only one who knows how hard dancing is for me now.

The phone rang about 3 times before she answered.

“Hey!” she yelled over the music playing.

“Come get me!”

“ Well sure let me take time from my busy day.”

“Don’t get all sarcastic on me. Just come get me!”

“Hmm I have to think about that.”

“ARIANNA!”

“Chill out I’ll come get you Nat. Where are you?”

“I’m at the dance studio, so you need to hurry.”

“Greeeat. I get to help you ditch. I’ll be there in like 10 minutes.”

The phone clicked off.

Thank God Arianna had a car or I don’t know what I would do. The sooner I get out of here the better.

******

“Leaps across the floor, NOW!”

I could hear Ms. Kitchner yelling at the girls while I ran down the stairs. Out the door and finally outside I could breathe.

“Hey! You gonna get in the car or what?” Arianna yelled while honking.

“Would you like for me to get caught ditching?”

“Well of course not princess Nat.” Arianna said in a fake British accent.

“Shut up and drive.”