Prologue

"You must. If you don't, you shall have no share in the inheritance." The voice spoke in a firm whisper, and Lady Christine Daae could hear the muffled shuffling of feet as the person moved across the room. Who needed to do what? She pressed her ear to the door, hoping to hear something more.

"Fine. But I expect some extra benefits for this... I think Michaels & Fox sounds much better than just Michaels, don't you?" The other person calculatingly offered.

"Yes, yes; as long as there is a compromising situation... Nothing that damages her, but something that could be taken by another as... an impropiety. I desperately need my half of the inheritance as soon as you marry Christine." The other voice was hasty and deliberate, as if this conversation was a business deal.

"Well, I shall act upon you wishes... say, next week? I'm sure that, as her uncle, you can arrange a dinner." The younger person cackled.

Christine Daae rushed from her hiding spot behind the heavy oak doors to the back corridor. She tried to calm her nerves by breathing slowly. How could he do such a thing? Her mind raced with frustration and hurt.

Just six years previously, Christine's uncle and guardian, Lord Lockley Michaels, had hired a young man named Sir Victor Fox. Christine was only thirteen at the time, but even then she knew the man to be a wily one. When she noticed him coming more and more regularly for dinners and parties, she suspected that he knew of her large inheritance that she was to gain once she married.

Christine quickly made her way up to her room, seething with anger. Now she knew that it was her uncle who wanted the money to help his failing law firm. But to go so low as to tell that wretched man to make it so that she marry him! If her parents were still alive... Christine's eyes teared up. How she missed their love and support they provided over the years.

But if they taught her one thing, it was to be brave. Everyone only has one lifetime on earth, and it is their job to turn it into the life they want. England had only ever held bad memories for her. It was time for something new.

She needed to leave. Now. And she supposed the only way to do it was to become a mail-order bride to the West.

__________________________________

It has been over two years since I've done a fanfiction on my own, and wow! I am so excited to finally get back into this crazy fanfic world. This idea has been in my head for a long time, so hopefully you are all up for some adventurous travel, English/American clash, and a little bit of E/C! Comment and vote so I can know if you like this!

Thanks,

Phantom_Christine_5