Chapter 1, Then the World Changed

The world is merely a series of repeated patterns understand those patterns and the world becomes an easy place to navigate, but because of this the world is also a repetitive place where nothing changes. People become bored of a repetitive world and desire a world of limitless potential, but the world inherent nature is to cling to repetition, ever stagnant and unchanging, clinging to the stability of balance. 

This was the reason for Virgil Knight's boredom of the world. In the back of his class he sat reading a manga while his professor wrote notes on the board. 

"Mr. Knight, are you paying attention?" asked his teacher.

"No Ms. Dana," Virgil responded only after finishing the page he was on, not bothering to even look up.

There were various students who were texting on their phones or just staring with glossed over eyes at the chalkboard like dead animals. but professors typically called on him because of his arrogant attitude, hoping to teach him a lesson. It also didn't help that he had hair as white as snow, caused by a genetic disorder. He never showed any interest in class, and when he seldom looked up to pay attention his eyes could only transmit a deep sense of boredom and hatred of the slow passing of time. 

"You need to stop this Mr. Knight, school is the foundation of your future. The skills you learn now will become an important foundation for who you will be in the future, so why do you insist on ignoring the important lessons I'm trying to teach you and your classmates?" Ms. Dana said angrily.

"I'm not ignoring these lessons, it's just that I've already learned them, so there's no reason for me to waste my precious time and listen to this, unlike the rest of the idiots in this class," Virgil said, not meeting his professor's gaze and continuing his reading. The rest of his classmates turned around with expressions of deep-seated hatred in their eyes.

"Oh really now, your time's so precious that you don't want to waste it on the lecture I've worked so hard to prepare?" Ms. Dana said with a very visible amount of anger on her face.

"Yes exactly, human beings live for only a finite span of time, and unlike other things which can be bought through money time unfotunately cannot. Think about it, if you were sitting in a kindergarten class slowly learning the basics of the alphabet wouldn't you also be frustrated by the lack of mental stimulation? And later on in life when your death is close at hand wouldn't you regret that you have to waste your precious time learning something so childish? Of course you would," Virgil said with a bored look on his face.

"Oh, since you seem to be so confident in your abilities why don't you solve this problem," Ms. Dana said writing down a problem that even most university students would ponder over for a long time while  before answering.

Virgil rose from his seat, walking slowly towards the board so as to not hit his classmates desks while reading his story. Once at the board he looked up from his book with a hopeful smile, wishing to be entertained, instead his smile quickly turned to a sigh of disappointment. He went back to reading his book as he wrote down the answer, and then turned back to walk to his seat.

Ms. Dana was livid. She had nothing to say either since he had easily solved her problem in a matter of seconds. "Please don't bother my class again Mr. Knight.," she said, turning her back, unable to face him because of her shame.

"What do you mean?" Virgil said earnestly, looking up from his book finally attempting to make eye conntact with his teacher.

"What do I mean? What do I mean!?" she screamed at the top of her lungs. "You disrupt my class by disrespecting me in front of my students who are eagerly trying to learn! Not everyone is like you."