Chapter 4

(done! enjoy!)

Ella sat upright on the ground, legs bent underneath her, her hands folded on her lap. Her face was relaxed, her breathing even, and her eyes not wavering from the person in front of her. The dim morning light had quickly grown into the bright, unmistakable light of day. She sat in a large circular house. It was tall and had animal skins cleaned and stretched tightly across the poles that held the structure up.

Ella looked closer at her captor. In the daylight she could see a scar, prominent as it ran from his bicep to where it disappeared at his wrist. Ella felt a mix of emotions when she had first noticed the scar the night before.

When her Indian swiftly leaned down and scooped her up onto his horse, Ella had noticed the scar. The entire, bumpy ride, all she could think about was this long, horrifying scar. Ella knew this man had been in great pain at the time and suffered greatly as it healed. She didn’t know why, but she had a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach. After debating weather it was fear or amazement, Ella had finally decided upon grief.

After riding through the night for what felt like days, they had finally reach the camp. From the distance, Ella thought it to be quite small, but now that she was upon it she saw that the Indian camp was much larger than a few tents; it was filled with strange hut upon strange hut, none of the in an orderly fashion, they just seemed as random as wild flowers.

Riding past the many conical-like things, Ella could see through the entrances and spot people sleeping or eating, some talking and others working on what looked like a loom. As Ella got deeper into the camp, the other men who had terrified her earlier rode through the place on their horses, making loud yapping noises no unlike a dog. At that, all of the people in the huts or sitting outside came at once to where the horses and men were, welcoming their return.

Man of them waved in greeting, hugging the returned men who had jumped off their horses. The old men clasped forearms with the young men, nodding once. Everyone seemed to be in a state of excitement, until five figures stepped forward. The silence was eerie. The tension in the air was almost visual. Ella tightened up. She had not thought about much since she had been captured. Nothing except for her Indian’s scar. Now, the serious of her situation landed heavily on her shoulders and she was deathly afraid. There was no way she could escape. No hope of anyone from the wagon train coming to search for her. She would be lost to the world forever. And God knows what these wild people will do with her. Her stomach sickened with the thought. And yet, she wouldn’t be with her father after all. At least one good thing came of this.

Ella froze even more when she felt her Indian’s arm slide around her waist, grasping one of her hands tightly in his own. This gesture was so unmannerly and vulgar, and yet… Ella felt like things might not be so bad after all. And then he let go and all of Ella’s previous fears came rushing back to her like a constant stream of water. Ella was brave, she had to be with her mother long dead and her father dead to her in everything but the literal term. She had nobody to love her like she deserved, nobody to truly protect her and care for her as a child, and that made her strong. She had always pushed her shoulders back and held her chin high in tough situations, and that is exactly what she did now. A surge of newfound confidence flooded through her. Instantly she was relieved, as if the world had not turned on its head tonight.

One of the five men wore a long feathered head-dress said something in a language Ella did not understand. Her Indian replied, sounding mad. The older Indian pointed at Ella’s Indian and pulled his hand over his shoulder, motioning for him to come.

“Stay with the women, I will be back to get you.” Ella surprised to hear him speak in her language, turned to face him. He smiled, seeing the utter shock on Ella’s face. “I’ll be back, I promise.” With that he leaped gracefully off the horse behind her, reached up and gently lifter her off, then bounded over to where the five men were already walking away.