Chapter One

Chapter One:

River looked at the face that would have hundreds of witches and wizards running for cover, if only they knew. Full lips pressed together in a firm line with high cheekbones etched into creamy skin. Yet no emotion could be found unless you stared into the eyes. Such a vibrant blue it was almost startling. The brightness of the eyes dimmed by the absolute sadness that filled the blue pools. Her name was feared yet she could walk down any street, hear the terrified whispers of He Who Must Not be Named and his only living relative, without anyone being any the wiser. After all these years, her looks were still a secret. Even her name had become common enough that the single mention of it to a stranger did not bring as much fear as it used to. After all who would suspect such a petite beauty to be related to the most deadly man alive? If River didn't know better, she wouldn't herself.

Having enough of seeing the same face River had seen for the last 17 years stare back at her she turned away from the mirror. The sadness never leaving her eyes.

She was River, the daughter of the Dark Lords cousin. Not exactly the closest of blood relations but it was close enough to be feared. To be avoided like the muggle plaque If anyone knew who she was. She should have been used to it, after 17 years of not being able to get close to a soul for fear of being discovered. She should be used to it, but she wasn't. River hated any connecting she had to that thing. For it was hard for her to even call it a man after it's transformation. To her something that evil could never have been remotely close to being of the same species.

Yet no matter how much River wished the connection wasn't there, it wouldn't go away, and that is what she had to accept.

The window outside River's room looked over the hustle and bustle of Diagon Ally. She could see first year's looking around in amazement at the magic, some of them would never have seen magic before, or not like this anyway. Parents were trying to drag students around to get last minute supplies as quickly as possible. Others were meandering along at their own pase.

River had picked thus room above the pub for the exact reason. She could look out at all this madness and almost feel included. Almost. She could picture herself being dragged round my faceless parents to get her school supples. She could almost feel the smile on her face as she would pick out a wond with her parents.

River shook it off. Afterall she done all thoughs things, just alone. Picking up her Wong from the bed side table, it had become an extension of her arm, something she could move without even thinking about it.

River hadn't been a fast learner but that hadn't stopped her from wanting to be taught. At every magic school she had been at she had studied like a mad thing. And finally all the studying had paid off. She could preform spells quickly and effortlessly. It almost seemed like she could recite quotes from the textbooks that she had read for years.

Her new school would be no different than the last. Even if the Headmaster was a Death-Eater.

For River would be attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for her last year.