2: Explore Pixie Hollow

Explore Pixie Hollow

      They flew around me in such a great speed that I was amazed to find they were actually able to do things in the few seconds they stayed still. One fairy was frantically taking measurements and then rushing over to another fairy who wrote them down and started cutting fabrics once another dress-making fairy, who was comparing fabrics to my skin and eyes, told which were best. In the corner, I was only able to see a screen that hid where my dress was being made. I could see the fairy stood just outside of the screen, her needle was flying in every direction whilst her eyes flicked back and forth from the sheet of measurements to the chosen fabrics to the dress she was currently sewing.

       After only what felt like five minutes, they stopped. I was told to close my eyes and change into the dress, without seeing it. I slid behind the screen, and with difficulty, pulled up a soft dress. I could feel that is was just below my knee, with thin straps, and very thin, soft material. I stepped out from behind the screen but still wasn't allowed to open my eyes. I felt one of the fairies begin doing something with my hair, and another pull parts of the dress so they were in the right place. My foot was lifted up and fitted into a pair of shoes. A dainty hand took my wrist and guided me across the room, still with my eyes closed, and then stopped a few yards from where she had began. "You can open your eyes!" The dressmaker fairy who had taken her to the mirror squeaked. Slowly my eyelids fluttered open and blinked a few times at the reflection in the mirror. My hands flew up to my hair, it had been cut shorter and now had a fringe that fell just above my eyes. When I moved my head a strange golden sparkle appeared among the chestnut brown hair, "it's pixie dust," said one of the fairies, "it's always been my favourite accessory." I smiled at the dressmaker fairies before my eyes drifted towards the outfit. The shoes were simple and gold, small with thin golden thread that twisted around ankles before tying in a bow. Finally, I rested my eyes upon the dress. The fabric was the same colour as the shoes, and kind of burnt, sunny gold, and made of sparkly, netty material that still felt soft. The top half had two straps that joined the body as the same fabric and then the material twisted around me chest but then loosened around my waist and flowed freely, still slightly twisted, and reached my knees. Just below my chest, where the material loosened, a green vine belt was wrapped around me and then knotted to the right of my stomach and fell down in two elegant vine strands. I rose onto my toes and twirled. As my head whipped past the mirror I saw the fabric was sparkling just as my hair had done, though this time it made the dress look alive. "It's so beautiful! Thank you!" I exclaimed, my eyes still on the dress.

       "It's no problem. Come by sometime tomorrow and we'll give you more. Oh, and welcome to Pixie Hollow." I smiled more and then the dressmaker fairies left.

       I walked around my room a bit more, finding it hard to tear my eyes away from the true beauty of it all. On the dressing table I say more clothing that I supposed was from the dressmaker fairies. I walked over to it and unfolded the fabric to reveal a pristine, white nightie. It had thin, thread-like straps of a pearly white and then fell down in waves of flowing, lose white fabric that felt the softest petal. I picked up the nightie and folded it again before placing it on her pillow. I then left the room through the acorn top door to meet Fawn, with a pleasant smile pasted across my face.

        "Oh wow!" cried Fawn when she saw me flying up to the branch she was sitting on, "I love it! And your hair, and, is that pixie dust?" I nodded and twirled again. "So where do you want to go first? I could take you to go see Erebeth, or maybe Mother Dove first... If you I took you to Mother Dove first Erebeth would say you should've come to her first, but if I took you to her first she'd say Mother Dove was more important. Wait you don't even know who Erebeth is! Well we'll go to her first. I've never really done this before, shown around a new fairy. I only got her a few months ago myself. Anyway, follow me." And so Fawn lifted off into the air and I followed, still trying to understand what Fawn had just said. I followed Fawn higher up the tree to a large flat surface of wood with some tables, chairs and what looked like animal cages across it. Some curving steps led up from this area to a slightly-larger-than-the-rest house with Erebeth written in curly handwriting. Over on the side was a large branch of wood sticking upright with a map pinned on it. It looked like it was of Pixie Hollow, with some annotations and arrows all around it that I didn't understand.