Chapter Four.

Once lunch ended, Emelia rushed to her father's room in hopes to speak with him. Upon reaching his room she couldn't help but feel slight terror that something had happened to him.

"Papa?" She knocked and then cracked open the door.

"Emelia! Come in!" Her father said, happy to see her.

She slid in and carefully shut the door behind her. Looking around the room, she saw her father working on some papers at his desk. He looked up and smiled a smile that didn't reach his eyes.

"Papa, are you okay? I was worried when you didn't come out for breakfast or lunch. Is something wrong?" Her face was flooded with concern for the man who had raised her.

"I'm fine, Mon amour. I was just catching up on some paper work." She nodded and he merely laughed. "My beautiful daughter, so concerned for this raggedy old fellow who calls himself her father."

"Oh papa, you know you work too hard." He smiled sadly at her.

"Emelia..." He stared at her for a moment. "Come here, sit on your father's lap like you used to when you were a little girl."

"You know I'm not as little as I used to be, papa." She laughed as she walked over and sat on her dad's lap.

"No, you're not. But, you are still rather small, especially for your age, don't you think?" Smiles grew on both of their faces as she looked at her father.

"Age is but a number..." She whispered.

"Indeed, you are right. So, what has my beautiful daughter been up to today?"

"Well...I was composing some more music today..."

"Magnifique! How much did you get done?"

"Only a few measures."

"Really? That's unlike you...what else did you do?"

"I worked on the piece I am singing in the performance with the chorus." She looked at him shyly.

"Can I hear you sing something for me? It will put my wandering mind at ease." When she hesitated he frowned but reluctantly she stood.

He smiled at his daughter when he saw her standing. She adjusted her posture like the Angel of Music had told her and began singing one of the warm up pieces he had taught her.

"Wishing you were somehow here again. Wishing you were somehow near. Sometimes it seemed if I just dreamed. Somehow you would be here." Her voice floated through the air like silk and she noticed out of the corner of her eye her father was almost hypnotized by her voice.

"That was belle but...where did you learn that?" He asked sternly when she finished singing and he could tear himself from the trance.

"Should I not know it....?" She trailed off, frightened she was in trouble.

"Emelia, who taught you that song!?" He was becoming impatient.

"Th-the Angel of M-music...he taught me..." She stammered, her father almost never raised his voice.

"Do not joke, Emelia! The Angel of Music is just a joke! He does not truly exist!" The yelling grew louder and she shrank back in fear. "Why did you keep this from me?"

"I-I... I thought I could surprise you, I wanted to surprise you. The Angel of Music has visited me and he praises my voice highly." She explained quickly, in fear of her father lashing out.

"And your voice truly is wonderful." He sighed, no longer yelling. "I don't want you seeing the Ange de Musique anymore, Emelia. He's dangerous, do you understand." Tears began welling in her eyes.