Dear Mom,

• Dedicated to Eileen Sheperd, my mother

Dear Mom,

Remember me? You're daughter? The one you replaced with drugs? I've been staying with Grandma for the past few weeks but you probably never noticed I left. Did you? I didn't get one fucking phone call from you, so I'm going to suppose you forgot about me.

You're a shitty ass parent. I had nightmares when I was 8 years old as I watched Daddy commit suicide in front of my eyes. I wasn't supposed to see it, but I entered the room at the wrong time. I loved Daddy more than I could ever love you. You didn't do anything to stop the nightmares mom. I still have them...

I don't know if I'm ever coming back. Your new boyfriend Hector who you met in the club? I don't like the way he looks at me. I know that if I stay around him, he's going to take advantage of me eventually...

I have a question for you. What the fuck do I do? Grandma is turning 96 this year. She's going to die eventually. I need somewhere to live, with someone who will care for me and love me. You don't do either of those damn things. You stopped as I began to grow up.

Honestly, I can say I miss you Mom. I miss the old you. You aren't yourself anymore... you're a ghost of your old self. You spend most of your time sitting at the kitchen table, eyes hazy, sulking. Why the fuck are you sulking? You could have a good life if you just did something with yourself! When I think about how stupid you are, it makes tears come to my eyes. But as of right now, that doesn't matter because as I write you this letter I'm bawling. I don't know if the tears will ever stop.

I don't know if I'll ever see you again, Mom. But I don't think I want to see you again. Not like this.

Get some help Mom.

From Pauline