The Children on the Truck

This is a short story I wrote for my challenge english class a couple years back, I chose to write a piece from the point of view of a couple boys being taken to a concentration camp during the holocaust. Thought I could upload it and see what people think, toodles.

   ‘Mama,’ Tommy screamed from the German soldier’s arms, ‘Mama!’

   ‘Your Mama is gone now, boy. Be quiet, or else I will shut you up myself!’ The soldier snarled, and then pushed him into the back of a grey truck.  ‘That’s all of them, let’s go!’ He shouted. As the doors began to shut, Tommy glimpsed his home for the last time, in flames on that cold, winter night. He sat on the metal floor of the truck and began to cry for his Mama, when a boy came and sat next to him, patting him on the back.  The boy muttered things to Tommy like, ‘It’s alright,’ and ‘We’ll look after you.’ Tommy looked up to see the boy who was comforting him; he had a mop of untidy brown hair, light grey eyes and a small pig-like nose. He looked older than Tommy, around the age of 11 or 12.

   ‘I’m Alex.’ the boy told Tommy. He had a very confident way of speaking, as if whatever he was saying was always absolutely correct, even if it wasn’t. ’What’s your name?’

   ‘M-my name is T-T-Tommy,’ he answered between sniffles, attempting to sound as confident as Alex, but the only thing he accomplished was breaking down in tears again. Thinking that the other children in the truck would laugh at him, Tommy buried his face in his arms to hide his shame. But none of them laughed, giggled or even smiled at one another, they simply sat down on the floor and watched him, with sadness in their eyes. Some children also began to cry, for their homes, siblings and parents, all of which they would never see again. Alex grimaced, remembering his own parents, shot dead while he watched. He shook away the painful memories, and began to comfort Tommy, as that grey truck drove, rattling all the way to their destination.

   ‘Get in, you little arschloch! Hurry up!’ The children on the grey truck awakened to the sound of an angry soldier, attempting to push a struggling young boy into the truck.

   ‘I don’t want to!’ He screamed, trying to shake away the strong hands which held him. He kept struggling and kicking his legs out to avoid being pushed into the truck. He eventually managed to free himself from the soldier, running away as fast as he could, but landed himself in the arms of a large man. The man smirked, and grabbed the boy by his arm.

   ‘I assume you want him?’ He asked the soldier in a gruff voice.

The soldier nodded, muttering ‘Yes sir, thank you sir,’ as he grabbed the runaway boy back from the man. Then to the boy the soldier whispered in his ear, ‘Do that again arschloch and I’ll shoot you.’ The soldier slapped him across the face, and threw him into the back of the truck with the rest of the children. The young boy landed face first on the cold floor, crying out in pain as he made contact.

   ‘No, this can’t be happening. No, no,’ the boy repeated in disbelief, as he crawled to his feet and began to cry.

   With a chuckle at the young boy’s confusion and fear, the soldier told them all,  ‘You don’t have much longer til we get there,’ There was a chorus of confused cries, followed by the engine of the truck starting up again. ‘To the camp, your new home.’ He walked away; leaving the boys’ to their thoughts, as the truck once again began to rattle away along the cobblestone roads.

The cruel soldier had been true to his word, the children on the truck did not have to wait long at all until they arrived at their destination, ‘The Camp.’ They had sat in silence for 10 very long minutes on the truck, not one of the boys said a word, and the only thing they could hear was the rumbling of the truck down the cobblestone roads. The truck slowed down, the children heard voices shouting at each other in German, then the opening of a creaking fence. The truck rattled on again for a few seconds, then came to an abrupt stop.