9.2 Second Lifetimes

2052 / Year 39

June

One year later.

"Which animal used to be extinct?" Hannah asked, pointing to the row of holographic creatures roaming Princess's lap.

"The Wooly Mammoth!" the girl declared, then touched the animal.

Chester, Princess's virtual guardian, bounced on four hooves. "Way to go! That mammoth looks like me, doesn't she?"

Princess agreed with exaggerated nods.

"Next question," Hannah said. "Which animal is still extinct?"

"That one!" Princess pointed to the dinosaur.

"What's his name?" Chester asked.

"Tyrannosaurus rex!"

Hannah gave her a high five.

It was a cozy evening in the Cardella's dormitory. Aimee was treating Storm to a night on the town, Jon was working from home on their biggest theater yet, and Hannah got to spend quality cuddle-time with her favorite almost-four-year-old.

"Which animal needs to be protected by conservationists?" she asked, rubbing Princess's itty-bitty shoulder.

"Umm... the whale!"

"What kind of whale?"

"Blue!"

"Very good!" said Chester, and the whale disappeared from the lineup.

"Next question!"

Hannah smiled. "Which animal is still used for human consumption?"

"The cow!"

Chester quipped, "That was a dairy good answer!"

Princess giggled. "Hey Hannah?"

"Yes, kiddo?"

"Cows live on farms, right?"

"That's right."

Princess squirmed beneath the sheets.

"You look a little sad," Chester said, his trunk dragging on the ground. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

She shook her head. "Go away for a minute, Chester."

"Okay, Princess. I'll disappear so you can't see me, but I'll still be watching in case you need anything." The widget bowed, then vanished with an animated pop.

"What's wrong, kiddo?" Hannah asked.

"Are there monsters on farms?"

"No, baby. Cows aren't monsters."

"I mean are there real monsters."

"Why do you think there are monsters on farms?"

"Madox said that only monsters live outside the city. And that's where farms are."

"Did Madox say what the monsters look like?"

"He says they're like normal people, except their brains leak out their nose like bloody worms." She crinkled her cheeks. "He says they want to eat my brains too."

"I think Madox has a big imagination."

"They're not real?"

Hannah considered her response. "Have you asked Chester about the monsters?"