WANDERER

S P E C T R E Wanderer

❝I'm little but I'm coming for the title, held by everyone who's up .

    ☼    

Time flowed like cement. Katherine checked her cell for the time. A minute had passed since she last checked an hour ago, or so it seemed. Sitting there with nothing to stare at but a wall and a dull bookshelf with dictionaries and tales from an old country, there was no telling when Nick Fury would grace her with his presence. It was so pointless too. Coming here just to find out information she should have known long before her trek started; Katherine cringed with a slight shift in the chair and her eyes drifting up at the ceiling.

She began to drift off into an unpleasant daydream or was it a paranoid fantasy? No, she didn't get paranoid, but Katherine at the moment was too bored to care. Finally, piercing the unnerving confinement of silence, voices filtered just outside the doors and Katherine perked up rather quickly. Dark brown eyes watched intently as the men entered after the doors slithered away like snakes retreating. Fury had paused mid-conversation to stare at his occupied seat with a rather bemused thought; but his face said differently.

"I thought Agent Hill was pulling one of her jokes when she said you were here." Fury allowed a small smile to crack his stony mien, and Katherine threw her head back with light laughter.

"How did you figure that, Nick?"

He lifted his shoulders and tilted his head lightly. "You're just a rare occurrence in itself, Katherine."

"I try to be." Katherine's gaze slowly moved to the other man occupying the room in silence. His face was impassive, with minor cuts and a few faded bruises across the somewhat...appealing surface. Recognition hit her then, and at that time she swore underneath her breath. It was irritable enough hearing the phrase Avenger getting tossed around like some new fad or 21st century word-play, but to have one in the flesh standing before you with a grunge expression was rather belittling.

Her lips pursed themselves together, and she stood up. "I came here looking for answers."

Katherine felt the uneasiness in the air, catching Fury's cautious gaze towards Steve Rogers. That was it, then. Nick Fury had known she would be coming, no doubt about that. And he was prepared for any questions she threw his way. He would either answer them cryptically or not at all—there were too many eyes and ears inside the S.H.I.E.L.D compound that he was almost sure weren't his. The young woman would indubitably leave with a little bit more distrusts on her plate, which would cause her to form her own hypothesis of the situation; but it was a risk Fury was willing to take. Even if it bit him in the ass—there was no denying that deep within the organization he alleged all loyalty to, something dangerous stirring in the shadows. And if there was something working for S.H.I.E.L.D all these years had taught the elder man, was that all wars ever fought, have started in the dark.

"What do you want to know?"

Katherine Stark bit down on her lip and flared her nostrils. "Seven months from today, you sent me on a mission to investigate the situation in Chicago. You wanted to know what happened, and frankly, so did I. I did as much digging, torturing, and anything else I needed to get information on how those prisoners went from being regular street thugs to super-powered villains in only a matter of minutes. I've came across a lot of valuable information, but none of them really answered the question for me: where did the stuff come from? Who's supplying this drug and how is it able to so freely get onto United States and European soil? Then I realized, that there was more to this than just figuring out the how, it was the who and what I should have been looking for."