Chapter 16

Enjoy(:

~

Chapter 16

~

Still not exactly on the best terms with my mum, I spend the winter holidays with Zayn and his family, but compromised with my family by spending my birthday and Christmas with them, not wanting to disappoint my sisters.

My birthday is spent decorating the Christmas tree, having a snowball fight, eating a birthday cake, and avoiding calls from Harry.

When we returned from the camping trip, I stayed as far from Harry as I could, suddenly feeling uncomfortable around him, and refused to leave Zayn's side except for when I dropped Eleanor off at her dorm room, wishing it was closer so our separation could be sooner. The day after the camping trip, Zayn and I left for his house and it brought the hardest task yet: trying to leave quickly so I could get away from Harry faster. Somehow, I managed to make my goodbye with him nothing more than a pat on the shoulder, claiming that Zayn and I needed to get a move on to beat a snow storm I made up. The day after that, Harry left with Niall to spend the winter holidays in Ireland.

Now, I sit with Lottie on the couch, watching the third Christmas movie today while Fizz and Mum are upstairs wrapping last minute gifts. The twins keep rearranging the ornaments on the Christmas tree and take pictures of each new pattern.

I've received a number of calls today from friends and relatives wishing me a happy birthday, so it's no surprise when my phone goes off again halfway through the movie. What is a surprise is that it's Harry calling after I've already ignored his calls seven times today. Just looking at his name on my phone has my heart beating faster and memories that I shouldn't have swarming my brain. It's because of my physical reaction to Harry calling that I haven't answered all day. I shouldn't be nervous to talk to him, but how can I not be after what happened over the camping trip? Early this trip, I decided I wouldn't talk to Harry until I stop getting sweaty palms and a pounding heart because of him. Because that's not supposed to happen with your friends.

Unfortunately, Lottie is looking at me expectantly, unlike every other time Harry's called today where everyone was too busy and loud to notice me silencing a ring tone. But now, Lottie's blue eyes watch me, waiting for me to answer the mobile and silence the obnoxious ringing that is disturbing her movie watching.

I glance back down at my phone and bite my lip as my heart annoyingly skips a beat. Reluctantly, I hit the answer button and bring it up to my ear. "Hello?"

"Louis?" Harry's surprised I actually answered. His deep voice is shocked and has my heart speeding and I wish it would just stop. "Hey, um, I wanted to wish you a happy birthday-"

"Thanks, Harry," I interrupt, talking quickly to get off the phone faster. "Look, it's my turn to bowl so I'll call you later." With that, I hang up, wondering if Harry knows that bowling alleys are closed on Christmas Eve.

Lottie's watching me with a confused look but I ignore her and tell my family I'm going up to bed. In my room, I take turns with studying my lines for the play at the end of January, double checking all my Christmas presents are wrapped, and tossing and turning in bed.

I don't call Harry back.

***

Harry's antsy. He taps his foot. He crosses his arms then uncrosses them seconds later. He flicks his hair out of his face. He scratches his arm. He switches the foot he's putting most of his weight on.

Finally, I roll my eyes at my nervous friend and throw an arm around his shoulders, pulling him into my side then forward as the line moves up. "Relax, Haz. It's just a concert. I'll be here with you the whole time." I really don't know why he's so nervous. We've both been to our fair share of concerts and Harry's never acted like this before. Maybe it's because we're with a slightly older crowd.