Deja-High School

My Mother is giddy at our being back in town.

Luckily, Finn and Lucas found us a huge house to move into. It's not too huge, but huge enough to start a life and possibly a family. The house, like all the other houses, has a Gothic look to, though it's painted a maroon and black color. The house isn't the same as the others in the neighborhood, just one of the houses in a row of houses.

It's called the Proctor Manor.

It's got a huge sitting room, a parlor with many windows, a small dining room, and a half bathroom with an alcove nearby and a spacious kitchen. The second floor has four bedrooms, three bathrooms and another set of stairs, leading to an empty attic.

Honestly, it's like something one might see on television.

All the other houses are smaller in design but still nice. I watch with annoyance as Porter, Parker and David carry boxes into the house. They all agree that I shouldn't lift anything heavier than a lamp. Luckily Charlotte and I sit on the porch, trading quips and horror stories.

"I can't believe you agreed to teach at the high school. You are one brave bastard." Charlotte laughs.

"It won't be so bad. And helping people in this town will start with children." I nod, "If I wasn't in a weird, weird place in my life, I'd drink heavily."

"How is that?" She asks.

"Throwing up in every trashcan in the house and craving mustard sandwiches. So, good."

Charlotte looks onto the street, "This town is just getting back to normal. I guess none of us can outrun this."

"I think you and Porter should go to our apartment in New York, just until this is over." I says softly, "I have this bad feeling. At first, I thought it was gas. Now I think it's more."

"I see you still haven't lost your sense of humor." She chuckles.

"There are some statements there that are serious."

"No." She says simply. I stare over at her. She shakes her head, "When are you going to try to stop us from standing with you? Don't be mad but I told Eva."

I glare over at her, "About what?" I ask.

"About the pregnancy. About you moving back and inheriting a destiny that you dislike."

I roll my eyes, "Why?"

"I don't know." Charlotte says quietly. She stares at me with a perturbed expression, "I miss us. All of us, together. I chose to come back to this town, with Porter. But it's lonely. You and Eva have been my best friends since we were crawling, Rugrats style. Eva moved to the other side of the world and you..."

"Char, it's what we all wanted."

"No, it's what you told us to do." Charlotte scowls, "You never took into account that maybe it's not what we wanted."

"Charlotte, Eva wanted it. Parker wanted it. Jason begged for it. Charlotte, I love you but it's what I needed it. Fuck, Charlotte! I was sixteen. My life changed forever and I was helpless. I became self-loathing, self-sacrificing and...I stopped being me. I lost me."

"We all lost something." Charlotte frowns, "We all lost ourselves. You can't micromanage people, just like you can't do it to yourself."

"I've lived my life in New York by letting go of the anger and resentment. I don't feel like raging or crying anymore. This topic, my past self, isn't one I want to talk about."