Chapter 13

Alex could hear voices coming from the outside of her hospital room door. Before the door opened there was a quick knock.

"Come in!" She shouted, hoping it was Dylan

To her pleasure it was, lugging behind him was a suitcase. Not just any suitcase, her suitcase. She gave him a confused look.

"Hey gorgeous! You 'bout ready to ditch this place?" He said with a grin

"What do you mean?"

"We are busting you out of here!" A goofy smile plastered on his face, Alex couldn't help but to notice he was wearing the same shirt he wore when they met. "Dylan, I'm being released today, not need for any busting"

Alex laughed then flashed a smile to match Dylan's. She never understood how he was constantly happy. Never had he seem stressed about anything, the only time he had shown that kind of emotion was when Alex was taken to the Hospital on the first day of school. He had seemed like a completely different person then. This goofy, funny, and charming version of Dylan was her favorite, it reminded her of the night she woke up to Emma crying. The one who volunteered do sleep on the floor just to prove a point.

"Alright kiddo, lets go!" he said snapping her out of thought

"Who you calling kiddo?!" she responded trying to act tough

Dylan made his way over the her bed and gave a menacing look, or at least tried, this just made Alex laugh more. He held out his hand and before she could make a move he was tickling her. Rolling over in an attempt to get away from him, he grasped her wrists in one hand and pinned them above her head, using the other hand to tickle her sides. Alex's feet kicked at the covers by her feet, trying to gain traction. With no luck, she gave up.

'Ahh, ok! Ok, I give up!" she  managed to breath out the words between fits of laughter

"I don't know! I suppose I did get you pretty good..." Dylan released her hands and sat next to her on her bed "Are you ready for the best day of your life?"

"Best day of my life? What do you have planed O'Brien?" she questioned

"That Missy, is for me to know, and for you to find out! Come on, we got to go soon, get dressed!"

"What about my doctors? Did you talk to them?"

"Already done. All you need to do is, put on some clothes and prepare yourself for... 'The best day of your life'" he spoke in a announcers voice waving his hands around to emphasize the words

Alex stood up and walked over to the drawer were she had been keeping the few clothes Emma had brought her. She settled on a light sundress and some sandals since the weather was nice. she carried the clothes into the bathroom and began to undress. The cold floor created a burning sensation across her bare feet. Hospitals were always cold and another lovely symptom of Alex's disease was low blood flow, which caused her to constantly be cold as well. Add a little make up and completing her look she stepped towards the body length mirror. The girl looking back at her didn't seem like the Alex from before. The Alex before she found out she was dying. Smoothing out her dress she stepped out of the restroom carefully closing the door behind her.

"Are you going to tell me anything about what we are doing?" she questioned

Dylan turned around, before speaking she noticed his eyes flicker down for her feet back to her eyes.

"Maybe. You look amazing, as always." he said with a pleasing grin, he walked over and took his hand in hers leading her out of the room.

"Emma and Mikey are going to come get your stuff in a little bit so all we need is this suitcase here. It has both our stuff in here."

Dylan led her to the front desk where the polite clerk sat in a chair. Her dark curly hair looked like it floated around her face, a ball point pen sat in her hand as she twisted it between her teeth. She looked up as they approached

"Hi, my name is Alex Ports, I'm checking out."

"Hello. Just let me check with Doctor Johnson, one moment please." she picked up the landline phone and pressed a few buttons "Doctor I have a patient here who is requesting check out. Ah yes, Alexandera Ports. Ok, yes sir. Thank you."

"Is everything okay?" Dylan asked seeming a little nervous

"Yes! You two enjoy your vacation!" she said sincerely

Vacation? A plethora of thoughts ran through Alex's mind. A small smile appeared on her lips and she looked down at her feet then back to Dylan. He smiled at the lady and turned on his heals, walking towards the exit. Dylan walked over and open the door of his car for her helping her inside, he ran around and climbed into the car himself. They sped off in the opposite direction of Dylan's house,

"I think we are going the wrong way" Alex said quietly

Turning towards her he grinned and kept driving, soon they were on the highway. Being someone who loved adventures she kept her mouth shut and turned on the radio. A few good songs came on and before she noticed they had driven for a good half hour.

"Ok you gotta tell me what we are doing!" She protested with a giggle

"Oh Alex, just let loose a little! It's going to be fun." He kept his eyes on the road

Dylan and Alex drove for another hour until Alex saw it, the Golden Gate Bridge. It was so much bigger and a thousand times more exciting than she pictured it. Her heart raced as she looked over to him. He reached over placing his hand on her leg giving it a tight squeeze as to say 'this is what you have been waiting for'

"I've always wanted to come here!" She explained placing her hand on top of his

"I knew you'd love it." He watched as she craned her neck around looking though all the possible windows of the car

It's so magical she thought. She pulled out her cell phone and took several pictures, including some of Dylan making funny faces. The traffic on the bridge was somewhat slow which just made it more enjoyable to be able to see the bridge longer. After reaching the other side Dylan continued driving, Alex glanced  behind her to see the bridge one last time. Breathing out a silent breath she closed her eyes and laid her head into the back of the black leather of his car. Never before had she felt like this, so infinite and ecstatic. Smiling she turned to her foreign exchange partner, briefly forgetting that what he is to her. That why she was here in America.

"You know that's not it, right? There is more than just seeing the Bridge."  Dylan paused between each word like he was carefully planning out what to say in advance

Alex's eyes slightly widened which made Dylan smile just a little bigger and drive a little faster.

-----

Hi guys! I'm so sorry it's taken so long for me to update his story, I've been going though a lot lately but I really want to make the effort to keep this story up and interesting. I doubt anyone really reads it anymore, maybe they never did. So it would be really nice if you maybe commented telling me you are reading or give me a vote. Just a little sign... I'm hoping to get the next chapter up within the next week. Fingers crossed.