Chapter Eleven: Autumn Ball

James's POV

I leaned against Elena's locker, arms crossed. I felt the stares on me, lusty ones from the girls, judgmental ones from the boys. I'd learned to ignore them as time had passed, their bitter, broadcasted thoughts affected me about as much as a slight breeze.

However, sometimes mind reading was a hassle. There was no on-off switch, so listening to five hundred active minds was like standing in a large hall of people, all talking at once. I could tune them out to a low murmur, but a silent mind was a luxury I'd never experienced.

A smile came to my face as I saw Elena and Harry appear from the crowd a couple hundred yards away.

Elena. She was beautiful, she was feisty.

She was human.

Everything about her was enticing. But I simply could not have her. I was cursedly immortal, carrying Night blood, while she was an innocent human with so much more to life. Imposing into her heart like that would be selfish as to take away her human love life.

Harry felt the same way about her, but he also understood. We had both fallen in complete love with her.

Harry was attempting to shut away his feelings, and warned I should do the same. Yet as much as I tried, some unnatural force kept me gravitating toward Elena's presence.

Kissing her last night was a terrible mistake. Yet it was the best thing I'd ever felt.

"Hi, James," Elena approached me warily, probably still confused about my curt exit last night.

"Hello," I said pleasantly, hoping to throw her concerns off. A small smile graced her features.

"Hi, Harry!" A short blonde girl with glasses and a ponytail bounced to Harry's side. She was completely dwarfed by him, but was so childlike it brought an instant smile to my face.

I caught Harry exaggeratingly rolling his eyes, but then he turned to the girl with a genuine smile. "Hello, Joanna. Allow me to introduce my brother, James, and our friend, Elena. This is Joanna Looper."

"Please, call me Jo," Jo crinkled her nose. I quickly scanned her thoughts; they were filled with admiration and adoration of Harry. I bit back a chuckle. It was a crush.

"Pleasure to meet you, Jo," Elena smiled, and Jo grinned excitedly back. I gave her a nod before turning to Elena. Harry ushered Jo away, walking her to first period. I threw a sly wink at the pair's backs, knowing full well Harry would see it.

Fuck you, I heard Harry snarl in my head, in a bantering tone.

I chuckled inwardly. I intruded into Harry's mind, and discovered that he did, in fact, believe Joanna was rather cute. He was simply trying to play the bad boy, hard-to-get part, and I hassled him for it.

"So, first period?" Elena asked, interrupting mine and Harry's mental jesting.

"First period," I smiled, slinging an arm around her shoulders. She chattered the way to class, but I barely listened, too busy gazing at her, her hardly noticed in the way that she did.

She would flutter her eyelashes as she spoke, and when she laughed she would try to hide her teeth, but always failed as a cheesy grin stretched across her lips. A lone dimple would pop out in her right cheek, and how her chocolatey eyes would sparkle with emotion got me every damn time.

"James? Are you listening?" Elena stopped and turned to me, her eyes wide and concerned.

I hastily scanned to her previous thoughts, discovering the conversation I had missed while ogling at her.