Let the games begin

Leila.

It was evident that I was underdressed for whatever I was in store for. As men wearing suits and woman in cocktail dresses shoved past me that part was becoming clear to me. Not fitting in with my surroundings at an event was unusual for me.

Jesse continued to lead me down a poorly lit narrow hallway. For whatever reason, the whole place was foggy making it hard for me to keep up with him. A few more shoves and a couple curse words and we had made it to the end. Staircases that seemed to be falling apart as people disappeared down or up them was all that waited at the end of that hall.

"Wait here. Don't make eye contact and absolutely do not ask questions." He pointed at spot he had originally been standing as he disappeared down.

"Alone!?" I hissed but it was too late, he made a sharp turn and I'd lost sight him. More people shoved past me making their way down those stairs. Few chose to acknowledge me, avoiding making contact and just stepping aside but most just forced me out of their way.

The egocentric side of me was furious. Being ignored and shoved around didn't take to my liking! The more sensible side of me knew that the world didn't revolve around me but was being hushed by a more pompous Leila.

"You look lost." A man jolted to a stop directly in front of me.

I'm not lost but I'm not sure of my location either. Regardless I wasn't sure why'd he need such information. "No." I turned away from him in hopes he'd be on his way. Jesse's directions were very clear— he was more familiar with the place than I was— I wasn't going to break any rule.

"You sure seem like it." He eyed my outfit. "no offense." He added quickly but it was too late the damage was done.

"Wasn't offended until that moment. But I'm waiting for a friend actually." I narrowed my eyes at him. His vibe was friendly but in a place like this that didn't mean much. He, just like the rest, wore a fitted suit. A gold tie hanging down from his neck—nothing screamed arrogance like a gold tie. His golden brown hair  was slicked back giving more view to his deep hazel eyes.

"Think he'll be long?" I couldn't tell if he was trying to keep me accompanied or prying. There was a long pause. More people shoved me but stepped aside for Mr. Suit and Tie. My patience was running thin and Jesse was nowhere to be seen.

"No."

"Do you gamble?" I shot him a look. The kind of look that clearly said "remove your presence from here". Unfortunately for me he stood his ground waiting for an answer.

"No." I said. My eyes glued to the corner where Jesse had disappeared to. Why was he taking so long? What was down there?

"Frugal? Bad with math? Boring?" He stuffed his hands in his pockets, shrugging.

"Gambling is basically giving money away. Sure, you win some here and there but you lose thousands just to earn those three hundred. I lack time, patience and stupidity for it." I spilled. He clicked his tongue, shaking his head.

"That's the problem; you're thinking like a loser. You go into something thinking you're going to crap out—Bam! You fucking lose." He clapped his hands together. "That mentality will get you eaten alive in these parts— there are vultures in every corner waiting for a weak moment. Never forget that, always look out for yourself."

"You're either one of those 'the end is near' kind of guys or 'I travel the country giving inspirational speeches in high school gyms', which is it?" I crossed my arms.

"You might want a change in attitude," he smirked, signaling for me to follow him. I stared down at the spot I had been told not to
move from. "Jesse told you to wait? I always tell him not to do that! He's not coming back, we'll meet him upstairs. I'm Spencer." He held his hand out.