Part 6

Well, that didn't end well. Yay, I'm psychic! I did say it wouldn't end well.

My mother seems to be okay with us being together but she told us, very sternly, that there was to be no more 'night time trips'. My dad, well, I never knew he was that protective of his little girl. He was friendly to Caleb before, but now he completely freezes him out. He thoroughly disapproves of our being in a relationship (ha! I can't get over how funny that sounds!) and he can't look Caleb in the eye. He tried to give us a 'talk' but I ran out of the room before he could say anything.

Caleb and I have been spending a lot of time together, but we don't actually do that much. We just talk about stuff in general or sit in silence and eat junk or make out or watch movies and crap like that. He's not the most romantic guy in the world, but that doesn't faze me. I hate all that sappy stuff and he knows it. It surprised me how well he knows me. He did say once that he knows me so well because we are so similar. Which we are. We like the same kinda music and movies, we both eat loads of crap but never get fat and obviously, we're both hybrids.

I've started to notice all the little things about Caleb that I love. His eyes flash mischievously when he's doing something he shouldn't be. He smirks a lot, especially when he proves you wrong about something. He has perfect manners when it comes to dealing with my parents and he's not bothered what people think of him. He has to wear my father's old clothes and a few things that my mother went out and bought. He has the worst sense of style and puts on clothes that should be kept miles apart and make him look like he got dressed in the dark. And he points out all my little habits, mainly the ones he thinks are cute.

For example, he thinks it's adorable when I bite my lip when I'm nervous and when my brow creases when I'm thinking hard. He can't help but laugh when I laugh because he says it's infectious. He practically pees himself when I hear a song I love and I just burst out dancing and singing at the top of my lungs. And he loves it when I close my eyes right before we kiss.

But we're not serious or anything.

Yeah, who am I kidding?

***

About a month after Caleb arrived, my mother took us into the kitchen and sat us down. She had a very somber face on and she held one of our hands each in hers.

"Alex, Caleb. Brandon and I have uncovered something very important. Caleb, the research centre is looking for you. They've put a price on your head, a reward for catching you. Now, we live in a very small and quiet town and no-one here would ever give you up, I swear it. But you guys must be very inconspicuous. If anyone ever found out about you two and what you are, you would be in terrible trouble. I doubt you'd ever have a normal life again," she said gravely.

"A normal life? You think we've got that now?" I scoffed. She glared at me and carried on like she hadn't heard me.

"We don't want you to go out unless it's imperative that you do. I think that you both should pack a suitcase just in case anything is to happen and you should need to make a getaway. Caleb, I'll find you one. You must pack anything important to you, but be careful if it's fragile. I have bubble wrap-" she said.

"Bubble wrap?! Where's that?" I yelled excitedly.

"-in a safe place where Alex wouldn't be able to find it. She adores bubble wrap. Weird child. Anyway, you need to be extra careful. I suggest you go pack now." she finished. Caleb sat there in silence, taking it all in. My feet were dancing anxiously under the table. I need bubble wrap now! It helps me calm down.

We went upstairs and packed a suitcase. I stuffed in some clothes and underwear, a Harry Potter book, my Harry Potter wand and cloak, some bathroom necessities and Steve. Steve is my unicorn. Yep, that's right, my unicorn.