Part Forty

Adam looked at the dossier of information that had been collated by Marcus, using various investigators and agencies; it was the more recent pages from a contact in LAPD that had worried him the previous day. A known 'for hire' wastrel from the wrong side of town was seen near the warehouse prior to the fire. Adam hated that the only person who he thought could and would pay someone to damage his business was Stafford. Did he hate his son that much? Adam sighed and placed her fingers over his eyes. If his conclusions were correct, then how would Laura cope with that?

He heard the door to his office open from behind his closed eyelids, and slowly opened his eyes to see Marcus leaning against the doorframe. They'd been roommates in college, and firm friends ever since, when he became an established lawyer, Adam was in the throes of creating his business and needed his help and guidance, it had proved to be his greatest move, Marcus was the best ally any one could ask for in the cutthroat world of business.

"You look like you've lost a million!"

Adam gave a half laugh, "feels that way." He gestured to the seat opposite him, and waited while Marcus sat. "I think I know who might have paid off Troy Parkin."

Marcus's eyes widened, "really? And you haven't told the police?"

Adam shook his head, "no. I...er...I fell out with my father. My REAL father. When I was back in London. I wonder whether he might..."

Marcus leaned forward, hands on the desk, "you think your father may have destroyed a huge part of your business? Really? What the hell have you done to cause THAT much anger?"

Closing his eyes he took a deep breath, Laura had been right that people would make a lot of assumptions when they learned of the closeness of their family ties. Opening his eyes he tried a smile, "Laura, she's my father's adopted daughter, and he isn't happy at the thought that we're more than siblings."

Marcus's eyes were wide as he stared at his oldest friend, "well, well, well. Are you that bad a prospect that he'd do this?"

Adam shrugged, "he told me I wasn't good enough, told me to keep away from her, but she's followed me here. I can't think of anyone else who would have paid someone to try and destroy me. Can you? And he's hardly going to make it to the LAPD radar. At least not unless a concrete link appears."

Marcus shook his head slowly, "no, but I'm hoping with everything I have that it wasn't your pop, because otherwise you'll be asking this woman to choose."

This was no new train of thought for Adam, he couldn't think about it, not in any real depth. All he could remember was the kiss she'd given him as he'd left for work, her lips tasting of coffee, her body wrapped in just a satin robe pressed against him. He was rock hard in seconds. And just a slight memory caused that to happen again. The one thing he knew was that he was happy to play it all her way, but to do that, he had to share his fears. Not something he was looking forward to.

"Do we know where the police are in tracing the money transfer?"

It was his only lifeline, that the police would uncover someone other than his father to explain the arson. But everything was on a go slow. He wanted to walk into the house and to Laura with the relief of knowing it wasn't Stafford Marshall, but as the hours ticked by, he was running out of time.

Laura pushed the cart up and down the aisle of the supermarket wondering at the different products that filled the shelves. She had a new desire in life, and that was to provide meals for Adam, it was her way of displaying her love for him without uttering the words. She'd gathered numerous items but was still looking for inspiration for the evening. Then she passed the fresh fish counter and saw the biggest and most succulent looking king prawns, and ordered them eight each. She knew a great recipe for Thai prawns. Her mouth was watering at the thought.