21

Thursday, July 2, 2015

After dressing in a white with maroon half sleeved baseball shirt, high-waisted shorts and white Converse, I made my way to the sandlot.

My hands were really sore from the previous night, and I was sure I did break a few knuckles. I was going to take the bandages off, but I decided to just keep them on. I wouldn't lie and say that most of the reason for this was because Benny was the one who put them on me.

The sun beamed down on me as I finally entered the sandlot. I made my way to the dugout, setting my phone down behind the mini fridge. When I turned to go to the outfield, I noticed that all of the boys were jogging towards me. Luke wasn't there that day; he was still sore from the previous night, so he just went to Skylar's house.

I cocked an eyebrow, crossing my arms. "What are you guys doing?"

"Is it true?" Yeah-Yeah asked excitedly when they finally reached me. He didn't give me a direct answer to my question, but at the same time, his words and tone was answer enough.

"Bertram told us you beat up a grown up man last night," Timmy added, the excitement in his voice as well.

"Yeah, is it true?" Tommy asked.

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Yeah, it's true. But we can talk about that later. I just wanna play some ball right now."

The boys, besides Benny and Bertram, burst into excited whispers and remarks.

"What did you do to your hands, though?" Squints inquired, eyeing the ace bandages. "How could you beat him up if you hurt your hands?"

"That's how she hurt her hands, dummy," DeNunez explained to Squints. Then he looked up at me with slightly widened eyes and asked, for confirmation, "Right?"

"Yes, that's right," I confirmed, nodding. "And I'll show you guys later, but right now, I just wanna play."

Benny approached me cautiously. "Makayla . . . you shouldn't play today."

I frowned at him. "Uh, why not?"

He glanced down at my hands, then returned his gaze back at my face. "Well, you messed up your hands. I'm sure playing could hurt them more. I just don't think it's a good idea."

"Benny, I'm okay," I insisted, scowling at him. "I'm serious."

"Please, just don't play today," Benny practically begged. "You should wait until your hands heal up."

"I'm playing, Benny," I grumbled.

"Kayla." He grabbed my hand gently, but even still, I winced. "See? Your hands are sore. If you make the wrong move, you could damage it even more, maybe even permanently."

I shook my head, clenching my teeth. I remained silent, though. He might be right, but I don't care. I love baseball, and I want to play.

"Please, Kayla," he continued in a lower voice, stepping closer to me. He stared into my eyes intently and added, "Just for one day."

I clenched my teeth even harder, because I knew I didn't have a choice at that point. He wasn't going to give up, and honestly, I wanted to slap him for it. Even still, I backed away from him and took a seat in the dugout.

"Whatever," I muttered. "Fucking go."

"Don't be mad," Benny responded in a light voice.

"Too late, go on," I huffed, trying to hold in my anger.

---

Throughout the entire day, I sat at the dugout, just watching the boys play. I should have got up and left, but instead, I watched them for hours. Well, it's more like watching Benny, but I watched the game too. As mad as Benny made me, my feelings for him never changed. Sure, I got angry, but I still knew that I would have done anything for him.