Chapter Thirty-Six

The moment I reached the hallway, I took off. I didn't know or care where I went, I just didn't want Jean to be able to find me. My vision was obstructed by burning tears, and my breath came in gasps. I leaned against a wall, heaving with sobs. My fingers clung to my scalp, my arms trying desperately to cover my face. Still in that position, I moved onward down the hallway until I reached the stairs.

Once my foot reached the first step, I remembered the roof. The perfect place to hide. I made my way up the stairs quickly, my mind screaming and tearing at my conscience.

What have you done?

You've just driven away your best friend, that's what you've done, Ilsa.

You fool. You complete fool.

I paused at the landing of the hallway where Corporal Levi's office was located. I heard some muffled banging coming from his office, so I stopped, wondering what was going on. Seconds later, Hanji burst from the room, smoke trailing behind her like a wispy tail.

"Soooorry, Levi" she sang jovially, "But I think it worked!"

Levi emerged from his office, stewing in anger and slightly singed.

"Of course it worked, nitwit," he growled, scrubbing at a soot stain on his cravat, "Your experiments only 'work' when pyrotechnics are involved. I should have realized that your motor-powered, floor-cleaning contraption would explode."

I made to move upwards again, but Levi, clearly anxious to be angry at everyone, saw me.

"Oi, Larsson," he snapped, "It's a good thing you're here. You can clean up the heap of charcoal that used to be my office."

I opened my mouth to protest, but wiped my tear-streaked cheeks, took a deep breath, and moved forward. Hanji gave me a brief glance as I made my way toward the broom closet.

As I rummaged for a mop, I heard Hanji and Levi murmuring heatedly.

"I don't see why Moblit can't just do it, Levi," Hanji whispered, "He's under my command, and this girl hardly knows me."

"Moblit puts me off, you know that," Levi hissed back, "This one has some comeuppance to pay, so I'll count this as part of it."

"What comeuppance?"

"That's between me and her."

I heard Hanji give a snort of annoyance. "You realize how suspicious that sounds, right?"

"Of course I do," Levi answered. "I caught her sneaking around after hours and decided to-Larsson!"

I peeked from behind the cupboard. "Yes, sir?"

"Quit your eavesdropping and get to work already."

"Yes, Corporal."

I grabbed a bucket of supplies and scuttled into the office, which smelled strongly of smoke and burnt rubber. The sight that met my eyes was not as horrific as the Corporal had caused me to envision. Certainly, there was a large, black blast mark where something had exploded, and a few smoldering segments of wall, but other than that, nothing seemed to be damaged beyond repair.

Some stack of papers had been burned, and upon closer inspection, I saw that they were letters. I scanned the top paper and was able to draw the conclusion that these were meant for the families of soldiers killed in battle.

Levi came in and I dropped the paper hastily. He raised an eyebrow as he closed the door.

"Find anything interesting?" he asked coolly, making his way to inspect the damage wrought upon the floor.