XXVII

XXVII

            I FOUND HER.  Syd sighed a relieved breath of air as his King's voice echoed through his head.  

            I'll visit her in the morning, Your Highness.  At first, when she hadn't been in her room, Syd tried calling out to her through her mind, but found that she was unreachable.  He had been teaching her how to create privacy in her mind, but didn't think she would be able to understand it that quickly.  Annoyed at himself for helping her prevent him from knowing if she was safe or not, Syd had went to Nicon out of fear that she had left, or worse, was discovered.

            Very well.  Alert Alpha Cayn that your worries were senseless. 

            Yes, Your Highness.

            Syd had found Alpha Cayn's phone number within the minute and shut himself in the conference room for privacy as he dialed the number.

            "Your Highness," the Alpha addressed as he answered.

            "Alpha Cayn, it's Syd.  I was calling to inform you that my worrying had been pointless, and Elliot was found unharmed."

            "Yes?  Where, may I ask?  I hadn't realized this Elliot character was of such importance to your King." 

            Syd frowned suspiciously, your King.  The Alpha made it seem as if he was not under the same authority as Syd was.

            "The Great Room.  It seems I didn't search as well as I thought I had."

            Alpha Cayn chuckled on the other line.  "Yes, so it seems.  I appreciate the call."

            "Of course." 

            "Though I am curious.  Tell me, Syd, who were you really searching for?"

            "Excuse me?"

            "It's insulting you would think I wouldn't be able to detect a simple blip in your heartbeat, Syd.  You were more nervous in your slip up than you were for finding this character."

            "I think you are mistaken."

            "I think not.  Enjoy the rest of your night, Syd."  With the click of the dial tone, the young warrior was left in the empty conference room; the only company his thunderous heartbeat. 

            King Nicon-- Syd started, but hesitated.  If he accused Alpha Cayn of treason against his King, and was innocent, he would be at fault.  Under Nicon, this mistake would result in the public sentencing of life in the castle prisons.    

            The blue-eyed man hesitated, severing the message with Nicon and exiting the conference room quickly.  Heading into the Great Room, he lay in search of a momentary distraction as he mulled over his decision. 

            "Syd!" a man in the back of the room yelled excitedly, rushing over with a mug in his hand.  "You've hardly joined us lately, mate!"

            Syd shrugged, flashing the man a bright smile.  "I've been working."

            "Ah," the man said, "The new pup is trying to please his master."

            "Avar!" another man called, "Leave the pup alone!"

            Syd had acquired the nickname pup after his shift was triggered later than the rest of the men.  His heightened senses were new to him, and he was spending the time he was not spending with Elysie or the King learning to control them.

            Avar grinned, revealing the large toothy gap in the top set of his teeth.  His canines were sharper than the average wolf, which made up for the two missing.  "You're right. Where are my manners?  Quentin, let's invite the pup to play a round of pool."

            Quentin frowned, turning toward Syd.  "Have you ever played a round of pool?"

            Syd raised an eyebrow, "That seems to be the only thing to do around here."      

            A hearty laugh escaped Avar, who clapped Syd on the back approvingly.  "Yes!  The war is coming, pup.  We can only prepare the way we know best."  His hand swept the room, where men were laughing in groups or slaving over the pool table.  Many were telling extravagant stories, and in a few hours, the shift would switch and a new batch of Shifters would retire from watch for the night.  In a week, the rotation would begin, and men would leave for various assignments and others would return. 

            "By playing pool?" Syd questioned.

            "By making the most of our lives before we risk our necks," Quentin said. 

            "If there was no war soon, we'd still be risking our necks!" Avar laughed, "Just doing something different."

            Quentin ignored Avar's comment and excused himself politely.  Syd watched as the man walked to the edge of the room where a female Shifter was walking toward him, a long dress on and a smile on her face.  He laughed as he saw her, picking up the woman and spinning her around before briefly kissing her on the cheek.  The women usually tended to steer clear of the Great Room for obvious reasons, the stench of testosterone and alcohol was overpowering, but for Syd, oddly comforting.

            "Victoria," Avar said, pointing to the woman, "Has twin little pups in 'er.  There's a guarantee you won't be the pup around here forever!"

            Syd rolled his eyes, pulling Avar away from the couple and to the pool table.

            "If I win, the pup name dies here."

            "And if I win?"

            Syd knew the man could not resist a bet.  "The pup names remains."

            Avar frowned, "That's hardly a bet!"  He stuck out his hand regardless, "You're on, pup."