One

Jason's POV

I was slowly, but surely, picking up the pieces of myself...hoping to put myself back together again. Though, I was starting to think that I never even had it together in the first place. It had been nearly two years and I was still being haunted by my past. 

I took a deep breath as I climbed out of my car. Calvin had pushed for me to do this interview mostly because he was tired of me sleeping at his place. After a few weeks, I caved. I finally agreed to go on the interview because I was starting to run out of money and I didn't want to live with Calvin forever.

Lilly's, the name of the cafe I am meeting my new boss at. I had an uneasy feeling about this job but I knew that it wasn't a bad feeling but it also wasn't a good one.

"Be professional," Calvin told me last night after scheduling the interview. 

It was the pay that truly convinced me. I would be a fool to turn down the money they were offering me. Hell, it was more than the Army ever paid me.

"I need this job," I whispered to myself before walking inside the cafe. 

I looked around for a few moments before I saw a couple sitting in the corner of the cafe. They are the only people here so, it has to be them. I found it strange that they chose this place as it was out in the middle of nowhere. But, perhaps they didn't want anyone to know about this. Calvin told me this would be a high profile job.

"Hello," the man said standing to his feet once he saw me. "You are Jason, correct?" He asked shaking my hand. 

"Yes," I nodded.

"Please, sit down." The woman said and I obliged.

"I am Billy and this is my wife Tish." He introduced.

"Nice to meet you." I nodded.

"Well, Calvin said that you would be a great fit for the job," Billy said before taking a sip of his coffee. "I assume he told you all about the position?" He asked raising his eyebrows.

"A bodyguard," I nodded. Calvin wasn't to specific and I had a feeling that was because this would be tedious.

"Yes," Tish nodded, "we need someone to take care of our daughter and after the last incident we can't take any more risks." She explained as dryly as she could. I don't need to know the specifics so I won't pry. I just needed to know what they wanted from me.

"Our daughter can be a bit of a handful." Billy chuckled. "We need someone who can keep an eye on her while keeping her safe." He said raising his eyebrows as if he was secretly telling me something deeper.

"May I ask what I am protecting her from?" I asked.

"Well, you see, our daughter is an actor. The paparazzi and her fans are a bit crazy and unpredictable. So we need you to protect her from them and," Billy paused for a moment before looking at his wife, "herself." He said reluctantly.

"What should I watch out for?" I asked. 

Great. I was going to be a babysitter.

"Everything," Tish said with a sigh and I nodded. 

"We will meet once a week where you will get your money and you will update me on anything you may have come across with our daughter." Billy continued. It was clear that he wanted me to spy on the girl.

"Sounds good," I said standing to my feet.

"I will text you our address and you can stop by the house on Sunday to meet our daughter," Billy said also standing to his feet.

"Okay," I nodded before saying my goodbyes and leaving.

Fucking great. At least the pay was good.

***

I pulled into the driveway of their family mansion, man they are rich. I was honestly surprised by how big the place was. How many kids do they have? I didn't bother to research them even though I should have. 

I quickly parked my car and walked up the steps and knocked on the door.

"Jason," Tish greeted opening the door, "come in," she said gesturing for me to come inside. 

I was beginning to sense that Tish might be an acholic due to the fact that she smells like liquor. At the restaurant, I didn't give it much thought but now that I was standing right next to her, it was clearly her.

"Thank you," I nodded as I stepped inside the house.

"Follow me," she said and I obliged. I already have a fear that I might get lost in this house because it was rather intimidating.

"Jason, nice to see you again." Billy greeted standing in the kitchen. His demeanor always seemed to be rather formal making it quite obvious, at least to me, that something was off about him.

"Miley, please come to the kitchen," Tish called out. We all stood in silence as we awaited her presences.

"Miley, this is Jason your new bodyguard," Billy said once Miley had walked into the room. I found myself caught off guard by her appearance.

"Hi," she spoke shyly looking at me. She looks different than I had imagined and older than what they made me think. I thought she was a teen or something but she was an adult.

"Hello," I said looking her in the eyes. Once our eyes connected tingles erupted in my stomach. 

Strange. I had never experienced that before. I brushed off the thought trying to not get caught up in what it was.

Miley is gorgeous and I found it hard keeping my eyes off of her. She was my type with her long brown hair with a slim but curvy body. If I had met her anywhere outside of this job, I just might have made a move on her.

"I didn't realize that I needed a bodyguard," she crossed her arms and looked at her parents. Sassy.

"Miley, we are just trying to keep you safe," Tish said looking almost heartbroken by her intense reaction. Though, it felt rather fake to me.

"Sure," Miley rolled her eyes.

"Enough," Billy said raising his voice. "We have been over this before and you don't have a choice in the matter. It is either this or you're done." Billy said looking at Miley. 

I could only imagine what he meant by that. It seemed that the comment itself was enough for Miley to drop the subject.

Miley looked sad and I felt bad for her. I don't know the whole story yet, and I am not sure that I want to know at all. Miley looked up at me, then back her mom before walking out of the room.

It's just a job, I kept telling myself. Don't get attached. This was going to be much harder than I thought it was going to be. Especially because of that ass of hers.

"Don't worry, she will come around." Tish smiled looking at me. 

I could tell it was my time to leave of which I was grateful. I didn't want to spend another minute with Billy or Tish. Miley, on the other hand, I wouldn't mind.

"I will make sure you get a copy of her schedule," Billy said walking me towards the front door. 

"Thank you," he said before I walked out of the house.

I am not sure what I just got myself into and I am not sure that I want to know. Tish and Billy are acting like they are hiding something. Calvin told me that what I witness when I am around them has to stay with quiet. I am not allowed to even talk about this job to anyone because it is such a high profile job. I am starting to understand why.

It seems that my first assignment is to find out everything I can about Miley and her parents.