Three Wishes Customer 1: Open for Business

Customer 1

Open for Business

It was a hot, sweaty day in the lands of Sumer.  A weak, hungry man wanders across a rocky shore.  He steps upon a rock that was particularly large, smooth, and hot.  He looks down to see that it is a lamp.  He picks it up thinking he may be able to sell it for a meal, not realising it houses a being of nearly infinite power, me.  I arose from the lamp with a smile upon my face, “Hello sir.  You are my first Master”

He fell back in fear, at these times there weren’t even legends about me, and my pale glow must've frightened him due to the deep tanning, normal among the people of this nation, “What form of demon are you?”

I Lowered myself down to walk upon the earth, “My name is Karma.  I am a Genie.  My purpose is to grant three wishes to any who find my lamp.”

The man raised an eyebrow, “So, what would be the cost of these wishes, and how would you grant them?”

I shook my head, “I grant these wishes through the divine power of God, who created me.  As for the price, it will cost you nothing, but there are rules.  First, I cannot raise the dead, second, I cannot control a person’s free will, and third, I will not shed innocent blood.  Aside from those three rules, you may have anything you desire.”

The man lowered his head, as to consider his wish, “I’m a hungry man, without a home to go to, or a meal to prepare.”

I tipped my head to the side, “So, you would like a home, and food?”

“no,” The man said raising his head, “I wouldn’t waste two magical wishes on only myself.  I’ll make my first wish a large house with several bedrooms.  So I may allow any without homes to join me.”

I considered for a second, the wish seemed pure in intention, “Very well, your wish is my command.”

I materialised a large house with all the amenities a normal house had at that time, and placed it on an opening in the main city, “This is your new home, what is your second wish?”

The now ex-vagabond looked upon his new home in total awe, “I wish for this house to be full of food, and clothing.  Enough to feed an army.”

I considered once again, this wish seems pure enough, “Very well,  the house is now full of the finest clothes, and the most delectable food.”

The man smiled wide, “So this could feed everyone else who lacks a home, or food?”

I nodded, “Yes master, it could sustain them all for a year.”

He smiled even wider, “I wish for all others without home or title to be my servants.”

My heart broke, I wanted my first customer to be a good man, and he seemed like it for a while.  However, demanding slaves is a selfish wish, “Very well master.”  I materialised all the vagabonds in front of the man, and announced to them, “Hello, this man owns the large house you see before you, and intends to enslave you all with payment of food and home.  However he has no title, and thus will not be missed if killed.”

My very first master looked upon me with shock, horror, and awe, “Why have you betrayed me?”

I shook my head, “You’ve betrayed yourself.”

The large group of vagabonds killed the man and took his home, appointing no leader, and simply surviving off their newfound resting place. Some found work in an honest living, and repented of the act of murder, others did no such thing. They only ate what was available, and died a year later from a lack of food.  The true sadness for me, was that the humans that killed the man had free will.  They could have sparred him if they wished, and then none of their hands would have been stained with his blood.  It was then that I took a vow; a rule I made for myself.  Never manipulate the free will of others to do my dirty work.