Color Block (Interracial BWWM)

I've been judged my entire life because of my preferences. I wish people would understand that this is a new time; a new day. I don't understand why interracial couples are so judged and looked strangely upon. Save the Last Dance made it okay for a black man to be in love with a white woman but everyone finds it odd the other way around. Everyone except for me. A person is a person and love is love. Color should not change that.

My name is Dominique but I go by Dom or Nique. My parents aren't really fans of my love for white boys and they seem to exaggerate it saying "Dom just doesn't want kids with thick hair" or "Dom doesn't even like being black herself!" Both of these are total lies. I love my color and I embrace it. I also do like guys who are black; they're simply not of my preference.

My very first boyfriend was in Pre-school. It was a white boy named Conner. He was my first kiss and everything. We never really payed attention to the fact that our skin tones weren't the same. We were simply the best of friends. One day, Conner's dad saw Conner hugging me and he winked at his son telling him I was certainly a catch. When my dad saw the same exact scene on a different day, he flipped and told me to never touch Conner again. My dad wasn't racist really, he just didn't want me with a white guy.

I'm sixteen now and I go to a predominantly black school, courtesy of my parents. I'm in my junior year and I guess things are going pretty well. I have a boyfriend, Zoey- but he's black. When my dad met him, he was in love but I was pretty sure it was because I'd brought someone with my color home. Zoey and I aren't planning on getting too serious. It's almost like we're not dating- more so best friends who kiss. That's exactly what we are.

"Come on Dom- we're gonna be late!" That's my older sister Janelle. She's a senior and the ruler of this house. Queen Bitch to be honest. I threw my backpack on and slipped on my black TOMS before rushing out the house. I hopped into the passenger seat as my sister stared me down.

"Still trying to be a white girl, I see," she scoffed looking at my outfit. I had on a red flannel, skinny jeans, and TOMS. I never knew style came with a color. I looked at Janelle's outfit which was a short tight skirt, crop top, and stilettos.

"Still trying to be a whore, I see," I rolled my eyes as she started down the road. She shoved me into my door angrily and continued driving on. I avoided eye contact with her for the entire ride and quickly got out before she could say anything else.

"Hey. Next time you wanna be rude, you can walk your sorry ass to school," she snorted before I was too far away. Bitch is definitely an understatement I heard a couple of "oohs" before I walked into the building. I quickly walked to my locker and began putting my combination. Before I knew it, tears were filling up in my eyes. "Don't cry," I thought to myself but within one blink my eyes were raining.

"Hello Nique," Zoey smiled as he kissed my forehead.

"Hey," I blandly replied as a sniffed my nose. He used his index finger to lift my chin as he wiped my tears. He softly kissed my lips and I suddenly felt better. He gave me a huge grin as he carried my items for my first class. I told him about the issue with Janelle and I and of course he comforted me and gave me another kiss. At times like this, I felt like I was leading the poor guy on. He liked me way more than I liked him. I gulped as he waved me goodbye to go to his class. I opened my textbook and started on today's assignment which was a journal on "Your Type". My teacher was so into our lives and it was kind of weird. However, Ms. Lowe was the only person who seemed to care for me so I didn't mind. I pulled out my hot pink journal and began. Before I knew it, class was ten minutes in and Ms. Lowe was asking people to read. First was this dark skin boy by the name of Tyrone. He wasn't bad looking but he was plain ol' ignorant. I wasn't even sure why he was taking Creative Writing as an elective.

"Uh... I did a poem. And it's entitled 'Thick Chick'" he smiled as his boys started whistling and hollering while dapping him up.

"I need a thick chick

Who can handle her own

With a round ass

But small bones-"

"-that's enough Tyrone," Ms. Lowe sighed.

"With thick thighs

And a nice gap

So I can tickle

Her pussycat-"

"Get out Tyrone!" Ms. Lowe ordered. I heard a small snicker coming from the corner of the room.

"Man what you laughing at. White boy!" Tyrone sucked his teeth. My eyes grew wide as I faced the corner. There sat a white boy with dark eyes and black hair. His skin was pretty pale and gauges sat in his ears. I didn't even notice he was here. He must've been introduced while I was intrigued by our journal topic. While I was taking in the presence of him, I failed to realize that Tyrone was a step away from punching the poor kid in the face. I quickly got out my seat and punched him in lip before pushing him back. He looked at the blood that was dripping on his shirt and stormed out the room. I looked at the white boy who gave me a smirk and a wink.

"Well Dom. No matter how much Tyrone deserved that, I'm gonna have to send you down to the office for disorderly conduct," she sighed. I exhaled loudly before grabbing my bag and exiting the room. As I was walking down the hallway, I heard someone running behind me.

"Hey uh. Thanks for doing that for me. I could've handled it though. I've gotten in my share of fights," he smiled shoving his hands into his pockets. Without him flexing, I could see his muscles relaxing on his arm.

"No problem. He's been a bother for this entire first month of school. You've given me a good reason to draw blood," I laughed. He chuckled with me.

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Dominique. But you can call me Dom or Nique. What about you?"

"Oh. I'm Kody," he smiled before walking back to the class. When he got to the door, he gave me another wink, before leaving my vision.

"I'm telling your boyfriend," Tyrone walked up to me. Turns out he was eavesdropping from the bathroom.

"Tell him what?" I asked placing my hands on my hips.

"That you're cheating," he smirked.

"Funny you say that cause I did nothing that I'm ashamed of telling Zoey about. But how bout I tell your girlfriend that you don't really like her and you just want her- well do I really have to say. I mean, it was clear in your poem," I smiled as I parted his back, making my way to the office.