Chapter 6

Chapter 6: The Realization

 I sit here in my car for a while longer, resting my head back on the seat and closing my eyes.  Suddenly, a rush of disturbance drives through my veins.  I clutch hard onto the steering wheel and wait for it to pass. But it doesn't. By now, this catastrophe has packed its way into my chest, making it more difficult for me to breathe. The closest thing I can think of that could even begin to describe this would be a severe case of bronchitis. Before I even have time to blink, it erupts into my brain. Pain paralyzes my body for a moment, as I hopelessly grab my head and open my mouth to scream. But not a sound is made. I am in too much pain even to use my voice. The pounding in my head is now as fierce as a drumroll, I can feel the beats travel through my body. Overwhelmed, nauseous, and afraid, I start to shake and weep uncontrollably. I try to breath steady in between sobs to calm myself, but to no avail.  I am going to die. I know it.  I lay face down on the seats and make no attempt to stop the tears from pouring out. I try to curse, scream, and kick but I am too devastated to even move a muscle.  All I can do is cry. Then I notice that the more I cry, the more bareable the pain is. Weeping is my only way to realease this anger. It is my only comfort. I let go of any pride I still might have and weep harder then I ever have before. There is no holding back. As I try to catch my breath, I peek open my eyes. The whole seat is nearly soaked from my tears and my face is even more so. That's the last thing I remember before my eyes rolled shut....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knock........knock...........knock......knock...knock knock..

"Pierce! Pierce are you okay?!!"

Knock..knock..knock

I slowly open my eyes and realize I am still in the exact same position. Face down on my black leather seats.

Am I dead?.......

"Pierce!!!!!" That's Sadie's voice. She sounds like a nervous wreck....

Hmm... Apparently not.

I use my arms to push myself up and face the window. My vision is blurred and everything seems to be spinning. My head still feels like I'm carrying a couple gallons of milk on top of it, along with the ringing in my ears. I close my eyes and take a deep death to keep me from puking. My eyes finally adjust on Sadie who looks utterly worried and confused.

"Open the door!!"

I move slowly for the sake of keeping my dinner down. But before I hit the unlock button, I glance in the rear view mirror. My eyes are red and swollen as can be. My cheeks are shiny and stained with tears, not to mention the indents from the upholstery on the right side of my face and the beads of sweat dripping from my forehead. Now that's what I call an unpleasant sight. You look pathetic Pierce.

Nonetheless I click the button and let Sadie in. She yanks open the door and jumps in.

"Pierce what happened!? I mean I was watching TV then I went to bed but then I couldn't sleep so I went to get a drink and I looked out the window and saw your car was still parked out here, so I ran out to see if you were in here and I saw you laying face down so I knocked on the window and I yelled your name and you didn't move! I thought you were dead!! Oh my god you should feel my heart! You had me scared to death!" Since she was talking about a mile a minute, managing to say that all in one breath. I honestly can't process any of it. The only thing that occupies my thoughts is Why am I still here?

I just stare off into the distance, my mind now blank and aching. I imagine that this is how Pocahontas might have felt after she stepped onto the new world after months at sea. Lost and nauseous.

I feel a cold hand rest on the side of my neck. Sadie's hand. Even now her touch has that magical effect on me...

"Pierce...." I mange to turn my eyes to her. "Are you alright? You look pale..." She takes her other hand and places it on my forehead to feel my temperature. "God you're boiling up.... Can you move?" I shake my head no. I actually can move but truth is, I don't want to move. I'm afraid I'd spill my guts if I do...

"Pierce talk to me..."

I glance at the clock. 2:18am.

"Wait... How long have I been here?" I say hoarsely.

"Well you dropped me off here around eleven thirty.  So it's been almost three hours..."

I curse under my breath. Where's my phone? 

I reach into the cup holder to grab my cell.  Five missed calls and seven text messages.  Almost all of them are from my mom.  Crap.  The first couple texts are casual, like Where are you? or Come home soon ok?  The next ones are all in caps, followed by an exuberant amount of exclamation marks. The last is from Brad. It says, Hey man just thought id let you know youre dead meat.:).   I think it's safe to say she's pissed. Ugh I need to go home....

I rub my eyes and clear my throat hoping I won't seem so strange to Sadie.

"I have to go..."

"No Pierce. You're in no shape to drive anywhere."

I breath steady, ignoring any sign of pain or nausea. No matter how strong.

"I'll be fine. It's just down the street." I say frustrated while slowly closing my eyes.  Freakin' headache.

"No--"

"Look I'll call you when I get there so you know I'm fine ok?" Now I'm starting to feel even worse.... God I just want to go home!

"Absolutely not. I'm driving you." She steps out if the car and walks over to drivers side where I am sitting and opens the door.

"Scoot over."

"No! This is my car. I don't need your help!"  

That seems to have hurt her a little, but not enough for her to back down.

"Pierce scoot over now or so help me." 

Since when did she become so stubborn?

All this is too much for me. I can feel sweat start to drip down my back and I taste bile. I swallow and push the urge away.  Tears begin to swell so I rest my head in the steering wheel. No..no..no...Not now.

"Pierce... Come on please?" She says softly while rubbing my back. Is that bribery or affection? It feels so good I don't even care...

"Fine." I mumble

"Thank you."

"But first, get me a cold cloth will you? I'm boiling up."

"Sure. I'll be right back. Don't move." She hops out of the car and runs up the driveway.

As soon as she enters the house I shut the door, and start the engine. Come on Pierce, you can do this. Focus. Just breath. You'll be home soon. I push the gas petal and off I go. Out of the neighborhood and down the street. Before I can get very far, the left arrow at the intersection turns red. I stop dead in my tracks while cursing.  I hate red lights.  As I sit here, the adrenaline begins to wear off and now all the consequences hit me like a rock. The pain. The sickness. The anger. They have struck me again, this time even stronger then before.  

Not now....Not now.....Just keep going Pierce. 

The arrow turns green and I instinctively step on the gas. As I turn my steering wheel, my vision gives out. I now see twelve lanes and four different stop lights blurring together. I have no idea which way to choose. In a panic, I slam on the brakes. My tires screech against the asphalt and I spin.  Then, I hear the impact of the collision.  Crash. I feel my neck snap as I am thrown back into my seat. Something bashes against my chest. Blood splatters across the dash and onto my hands.  Glass is shattered all around me and smoke clogs my lungs.   My body goes limp.  My hangs down.  Before I can even realize what happened, I black out........

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLease tell me what you think in the comment section! Keep reading!! It's just getting there.....

Landon