Chapter 14

My eyes flutter, everything is blurry and fading at the edges. As my eyes focus, my fingers twitch, the feeling beginning to regenerate in them. I open my eyes fully, waiting for them to focus. When they do, I'm looking up at an unfamiliar white ceiling. I turn my head to see Aunt slouched on the alien bed beside me, her eyes closed in dreamy bliss.

Where am I?

I look around, seeing beige walls, sparse furniture and hospital equipment. Hospital??? Why am I in hospital?

"Nikki, you're awake!"

I turn my head to see Aunt sitting up, her eyes bloodshot, her nose red, a scrunched-up tissue in her hand. "Aunt Delilah... What happened?"

She tearfully runs her hand through my hair, "You fell down the stairs and you have a mild concussion. You were hallucinating for three hours. I heard you screaming. I was so scared!" Aunt stands up and turns away from me, clutching her hands to her face, her shoulders shaking. I try to get up, but my wobbly arms refuse to support me. Aunt turns around and rushes over, "Nikki, you're not strong enough to support yourself yet. Like I said, you've had a concussion. Thank god it wasn't worse. I don't know what I would have done if... He would never have forgiven me if something had happened to you."

I catch on her meaning. Dad would never forgive her if something had happened to me. "I should have been careful on the stairs, Aunt Delilah. You're not to blame. I'm clumsy, it happens. Dad wouldn't have anything to forgive you for." Bottom lip trembling, Aunt strokes my cheek and then physically pulls herself together.

"I'll go call your Uncle. Oh, and I'll send Shaun and Jay in as well. They've been here since morning."

"What time is it now?" I ask as Aunt props me up into a sitting position.

"Seven pm." Aunt mutters and then leaves. Moments later, Jay and Shaun dash into the room, bearing a teddy, a card, flowers and a balloon. Placing everything on the table beside the bed, they sit on the chairs at the side of the bed. Shaun sighs, "You idiot. What are you, accident prone?"

"I guess so." I shake my head pitifully, "I guess there's nothing we can do apart from throw me into a ditch and hope for the best." Shaun and Jay both chuckle.

"We were so worried about you." Jay says, glancing at Shaun, "As soon as we heard about you, I hitched a ride in Shaun's truck and drove down here." I could sense the tension between the two, how uncomfortable it must have been for the two of them since they're not exactly each others' bigggest fans.

"Guys, you should have gone home a long time ago. It's seven 'o' clock, your moms are going to be so worried."

"Oh, whatever!" Jay waves a hand at me, "I called Mom and the twins and I told them to go to sleep. The twins were almost in tears when they heard. They were begging for me to bring them here but I figured you could do without the noise."

"Thank you." I giggle, "Tell them not to worry. This kind of stuff happens all the time to me. I'm kind of used to it now." Jay looks at me knowingly and mouths 'Trevor' at me. I nod silently. He looks away from me.

"So, how are you feeling now?" Shaun asks, his patience running thin.

"I'm better than before. I can't really support myself yet. It's going to take a few hours. I just want to go home. It's Aunt's anniversary tomorrow. I can't believe I spoilt it!" I smack my forehead and then wince as it shoots out white-hot pain in protest. I clutch it, doubled over and I hear Jay and Shaun panick. One of them lays me back in the bed and then an ice-cold bag is put on my forehead, easing the pain away.

I relax after a few minutes of heavy breathing and giggle nervously, opening my eyes, "Guess that was kind of stupid."

"Ya think?!" Jay retorts, the sarcasm dripping from his voice. I look up at him apologetically and he smiles. Shaun comes into view, looking down at me with a stern expression on his face I have never seen before.

"Think before you do something. What if you injured yourself.... more than you already are?" He tacks on the end.

"Sorry." I say, smiling guiltily.

He sighs and smiles down at me, "It's okay. Do you want to sit up now?" I nod. They both haul me into a sitting position and prop pillows behind me. We all talk, laughing and teasing for about an hour but the tension between Shaun and Jay never eases or fades. I guess it never will. It's been two hours since I woke up when a doctor walks in. "Good evening, Nikki. I'm Doctor Jones and I'll be observing you to see if you can go home tonight. Now just relax while I examine you."

He goes through all the necessary procedures and then writes something down on the clipboard he's clutching. "Okay, well, everything seems normal. I'm going to let you go home, Nikki, on the condition that you look after yourself. No more accidents, okay? And remember to change the bandage on your head in the morning."

"Yeah, Doc. Thanks!" I smile gratefully at him. He shakes my hand firmly and then leaves the room to talk to Aunt and Uncle, I presume. Shaun and Jay begin gathering up my things and Aunt walks in, a large smile plastered across her pretty face, "We can go home!! You should be able to support yourself but just in case, they're bringing a wheelchair for you."

"Aunt, I'm sorry. It's the night before your anniversary and you're stuck here..."

"Don't be silly, Nikki!!" Aunt admonishes me, "I am not stuck here, I want to be with you." I tuck my hair behind my ear. Once again, clever Nikki has said the wrong thing. A nurse walks into the room, wheeling a wheelchair in front of her. I swing my legs over the bed and slip my feet into the flip flops Aunt brought for me. I stand up and my knees give way, but Jay and Shaun both leap forward and catch me just in time. They both look down at me and then at each other before helping me to stand straight and walk over to the wheelchair.

Once I'm seated comfortably, Jay rushes to the back and grabs the handles before Shaun can protest. Giving Jay a glare, Shaun goes over and stands next to Aunt. "Harry is waiting in front of the hospital. Come on, Jay. You know the way out." We turn around and Jay wheels me down pristine corridors filled with nurses helping children or the elderly. After turning never-ending corners, we finally come to an entrance. Jay wheels me out and then him and Shaun help me into the car while Aunt sits into the front. They both sit on either side of me and we all sing along to Beyonce on the way back home.

As Jay helps me out of the car, he whispers in my ear, "The plan's still on for tomorrow." I nod and allow him to lead me inside.

After tucking me in bed in my room, Aunt turns to the boys, "Get home, your mothers are going to be very worried."

"Yes, ma'am." Shaun says and leaves after giving me a wave. Jay nods and follows in his footsteps.