Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

“This looks like a rather classy eatery!” commented Cyril eloquently. He was obviously trying to make light of a dark situation. The diner looked like something out of a trashy 1940s horror film. Slightly surreal, really. On the roadside lay a tacky wooden box (or so it seemed) with gleaming windows with rough, splintered shutters. The sign read ‘the green monkey’ It’s neon green tubed letters flickered and buzzed as the sign hung on by a screw, swinging pendular in the light mid-afternoon breeze.

“WELL! What are we waiting for, let’s go in!” urged Carol. If she could use her legs, she would storm in there dragging them all in behind them, without a doubt! There’s Carol for you!

Carol, pushed by Cyril, was in the lead of this grand procession. Out of nowhere, a servant came to open the door. At this point, Carol had the strangest sense of Déjà vu. She could have sworn she had seen this pale grey face before. The man stared down at Carol as she wheeled smoothly through the doors.

“How very rude!” Complained Carol. If there was one thing she heated more than rabbit-shaped blancmange it had to be the constant discrimination and abuse she received of members of the ‘great’ British public. If it wasn’t for her wheels she would rise above the snotty looks of this greatly disrespectful man. Carol shrugged this off as she was sped into the side of the table. Cyril could be such a child at times!

As soon as they sat down, that same man from the door rushed from the kitchen with a pad and pen to reach the baffled group of diners. How on earth could he get from the door to the kitchen and out so fast?

“We’ll have 5 roast dinners please sir!” said Carol in such a polite manner considering the incident at the door. “Mercy-Bouquets!” said Carol trying to do a French phrase but failing miserably.

The man just nodded and walked away.

Before they had time to spark up a decent conversation, their food was ready!

The food laid out on the table looked grey and discoloured. The whole table let out simultaneous sighs of disappointment. Lily decided to taste the so called food that seemed almost poisonous to the rest of the table

“It’s all good guys!” mumbled Lily with a mouth full of food. Hardly the most appealing thing in the world.

Sure enough, everyone dug in. Many quizzical faces now shone with satisfaction.

All of a sudden, a moment of realisation struck Carol. She had realised where she saw the man from the door before. It was blindingly obvious now! He was the person that was seen in front of the car. All of a sudden, her mouth exploded in a mess of grey lumpy mashed potato. It hit her mother right between the eyes.

“Okay... I think we’d best be making a move hadn’t we?” said Ted desperately trying to regain control of the situation and trying his best to relieve the tension between the two women. As they stepped out the diner the two held repugnant looks.

The Green MonkeyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara