Chapter 1: The Cards Fate Handed Her

A/N:

© 2013 by DreamCatcher789. All rights reserved. (Please do not copy my work!)

Hi!

This is my very first story on wattpad!!! I hope you like reading my story and I'm going to try and upload as much as possible! If you see any errors, feel free to mention them, but don't be too harsh please! 

This first chapter of my first story is dedicated to my friend Ana, cuz i would have NEVER posted this without her!

Okay, I'll be quiet now.

Have fun reading!!!

-Elly

One word to describe the cell: dark

One word to describe the atmosphere: bleak

One word to describe the girl in the cell: weak.

In the center of the small five by five foot cell was a solitary chair. Its occupant, whose feeble hands were tied behind her with a shabby assortment of duct tape, rope and twine was a mere girl, only seventeen years of age.

Any could see that she had been mistreated; if the clear signs of bones sticking out of her ashen skin were not a dead give away, then the purple, blue, brown and fading yellow blotches that covered her frail body were.

Her head drooped low, pushed down by the cards fate handed her.

The girl’s once shiny and radiant black hair now was grimy and unkempt, just like the rest of her. It hung dully down to her thin waist, lightly brushing her thighs.

Water dripped, drop by drop, from her hairline, along her small, slightly crooked nose, down her full, once red lips, to her chin, where it fell rhythmically onto her lap, drenching her worn and tattered jeans.

This girl was a prisoner of war. No, prisoner is too kind a word.

This girl was a slave of war.

A war between humans and werewolves.

Well, a certain group of humans; hunters. Worldwide, there were only a couple hundred of them, but they were ruthless; casting a pall of darkness, pain, sorrow and death wherever, whenever and on whomever they chose to.

Their enemies sworn enemies were the children of the Moon, werewolves, who had existed since the dawn of time, along with their cousins, humans.

The sole difference between these two races was that another spirit inhabited the former. The spirit of a wolf, who lived inside the werewolves, presenting themselves for the first time to their human counterparts on their fifteenth birthday, when the first shift occurred.

It was a painful process, shifting into the physical form of the wolf inside you, but it was necessary. Once you had completely shifted, you and your wolf officially became one, and the changing of forms was never painful again.

The “children of the Moon”, as they were called worshiped their creator, the Moon Goddess. She was comprised of Artemis, the pure maiden huntress, who represented the waxing moon; Selene, the loving and powerful mother, who represented the full moon and Hecate, the wise magical crone, who represented the waning moon.

The Moon Goddess was a trinity, one person but three at the same time.

Her “children”, along with the wolf spirit inside them, had heightened eyesight, hearing and sense of smell, were faster, stronger and more agile than their human cousins, yet were not invincible, and to further demonstrate this, were fatally affected by silver, a metal humans had no reason to fear, that would sear off their skin, leaving naught but bone and the once proud and powerful creature shrieking in agony.