In The Doghouse

Hey everyone, it seems like in every romance teen fiction story on Wattpad, the parents either just disappear, or are really really really bad parents. It’s really not believable if you ask me, so yeah some of you might think this is harsh, but truthfully it’s not. Haha, it’s actually realistic compared to other stories where a girl’s parents let her sleep over a get guy friend’s house every night because they are such “close” friends and have been for ever and ever… Come on now, that just doesn’t happen.

Anyway, enjoy! 

I took a deep breath before turning the knob to my front door and stepping inside my house.

“WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!”

My mother’s usually calm and quiet voice boomed through the front room. She stood only a few feet away from me, with her hands on her hips and the coldest expression I had ever seen her wear. I swallowed some spit in the back of my throat before opening my mouth.

“You know what; I don’t even want to know! What, were you out drinking? Out having sex? God this is so unlike you Sutton!” my mother carried on without letting me speak.

I decided this was one of those times that I really shouldn’t talk back. Instead, I lowered my gaze to the floor. “You had me so worried! Good thing your father is out of town, because if he were here, he would have had the whole town searching for you! How embarrassing would that have been?”

 “I lost track of time, and I forgot my phone at home so—“

“So you just decided to not contact me. How could you put me through that after what happened with Melody?” she choked out, visible tears gathering in her eyes.

I could feel the familiar tingle of tears at the back of my eyes just from seeing her so upset. She was right, I was horrible for putting her through this after what happened with Melody, but it wasn’t my intention, I never meant to make her worry so much. Truthfully, I was just enjoying my time with Colton and his grandfather.

Sighing, I walked over to my mom and threw my arms around her. She was slightly taller, and leaned down into my embrace with a shaky cry. “I know you’re a good kid, that’s why I didn’t call the whole town, not because I don’t care, but because I know you’re not stupid enough to make bad judgment calls.”

I squeezed my mother tighter, welcoming her familiar scent. I rarely hugged my mother or father; this was a treat I wasn’t really used to. “I’m so so sorry mom,” I said truthfully.

Finally, we released each other and I looked up into her watery eyes. Tears were streaming down her face, leaving a trail of black mascara.

“Don’t you ever do that to me again,” she scolded, putting her hands on her hips and hardening her expression.

I almost laughed at this because I rarely saw my mother trying to be stern with me. Well usually my father wasn’t stern with me either because I didn’t do anything wrong, but on the rare occasion I got in trouble my father was always the mean cop.

“And don’t think you’re getting off easy. I want your computer and IPod. This weekend you’ll have double the chores, and you’re grounded for a week!”

I nodded my head in aw, surprised that my mother didn’t give me a harsher punishment. I was expecting three weeks and chores every day. “Goodnight mom,” I said before turning away and heading up to my room.

I thought about what my mother said, and silently agreed with her. She was right; this sort of thing was so unlike me. I had never done anything like this before; I had never in my life been so irresponsible. Melody had always been the rebellious one; sneaking out and partying at night. At least she never got caught doing it.