Detention

It wasn't fair. This was the fifth time this week that I had been late for class because my step-father, Jack, had wanted to "chat" with me about my recent behavior. Now I am back in detention for the third time, which wasn't going to look good in my records. All in one week, how was I supposed go to a decent college now?

I sighed and continued to doodle in my notebook, driving the time forward in my imagination. I had been drawing since I was a little girl, but perfecting my art has been my life's work. I want to go to school to become a designer, whether it be for fashion or websites it didn't matter to me. For right now I wanted to focus on getting into college and figure out what I wanted to do from there.

When my teacher finally dismissed me, I wasn't thrilled on going home. My step-father was sure to be mad that I had detention, and I knew he would want to continue his rant from this morning after I had run off to make sure I made it to school on time. I sighed as I gathered my things and went outside, taking the long route home. This route was my favorite too, because I could walk through the park nearby. It was fall, and the leaves were starting to turn into bring oranges, yellows and reds. One of these days I was going to finish a drawing of the park, and maybe I could send it to one of my preferred colleges to impress them.

I sat down on a bench, taking in the scenery. A mother and her two kids were playing on the playground on the other side of the park, the mother had stuffed her phone in her pocket so she could spend more time with her kids. I smiled, taking out my sketch book to capture this moment, but then my phone had gone off. It was my mother calling.

"Hi mom."

"Joanna where are you? You were supposed to be home an hour ago."

I sighed. Obviously Jack hadn't told her that I was stuck in detention because I was late for school. "I got detention for being late, I'm coming home right now."

She was silent for a moment, but ended up sighing before she replied, "Okay, just hurry home."

"I will."

Then I hung up, rushing back home to my mother and step-father from hell.

When I came home I had noticed Jack was already drinking, it was only four in the afternoon. Mother was running around the kitchen preparing dinner, and of course Jack wasn't helping her. "I'm home." I called out, throwing my shoes to the side. Jack immediately stood, glaring at me like I was the biggest disappointment of his life. "Well look who finally decided to come home! When were you going to tell your mother you had been sent to detention, again."

I kept my eyes at my feet as I walked by him to give my mother a kiss on the cheek. She smiled as she continued to stir her pot of pasta. "I was just late getting to school that's all." I explained, though Jack didn't seem to buy it. "You woke up and hour before your bus was supposed to be here, how did you manage to screw that up?"

I could feel my hands clenching at my sides, I wanted so badly to scream at him that he was the reason why I was late. But I couldn't bring myself to, I was a coward that couldn't defend herself again this horrible man. I chose to ignore his words and went straight to my room, avoiding my mothers outstretched hand. I slammed my door shut, feeling tears forming in my eyes. It wasn't my fault I was late! Why could this man make me feel absolutely worthless in a matter of a sentence?

I ran to my bed and buried my face in my pillow, clutching my bag to my chest. One of these days I will stand up to him, that's if I ever gain enough courage to do it.