Frostbit

Exploring different types of 'brothers'.

——————————————

"Casey, he's over there!" Raphael yelled pointing out the lowlife who they were chasing.

"I got him in my sights!" Casey shouted, shooting a puck at the creep. It went astray and hit a light pole. "Aw shell!" They turned the corner just in time to see the door to a warehouse close.

Raph glanced over at his friend. "There's no other doors to that section of the building! Let's go to the roof and wait for him to come out!" But Casey wasn't listening to him. The human shook his head.

"No! I'm not letting him get away!"

Raphael threw down his hands and rolled his eyes. "Aw no, Casey!" He barreled after his friend, entering the building only a step behind the human. Immediately, his senses started screaming danger. Before he even fully processed what he was doing, Raph leaped forward, shoving Casey to the side just as a shot rang through the air.

The guy they had been chasing ran past him out the door and he shoved Casey back so he could get up. "The things I do for you, Jones!" He grumbled as he jumped to his feet, Casey not too far behind. But before they could reach the door, it closed with a heavy slam and the sound of a heavy lock turning could be heard. "Dammit!" Raph yelled at the top of his lungs slamming his fist against the door.

"Now look what you've done! You let him get away!" Casey yelled.

Raphael scoffed. "I let him get away?! If you hadn't—" Raph shuddered. Suddenly his eyes widened and he looked around, taking in details he hadn't even noticed before. "Aw shell." He whipped his t-phone out of his belt. "I have to call my brothers."

Casey did a double take. "Huh? Aren't you gonna finish yelling at me first?"

"No time." Raph said hurriedly, repeatedly trying to call his brothers, unsuccessfully. "Damn. No signal!"

"Whoa, Raph slow down! What's the rush?!"

"Have you got reception?" Raph asked, gripping Casey Jones firmly by the shoulders and shaking him.

The human blinked slowly. He reached down and got out his phone, only for the turtle to snatch it from his hands. Raphael grunted and threw it back at Casey. "You don't have a signal either!"

"Raph, seriously, what is the rush?!" Casey asked, forcing Raph to look him in the eyes and trying to grab Raph by the shoulders.

The red-masked turtle slapped Jones' hands away roughly. "Look around you Casey! We're in a goddamn freezer!"

Casey did look around. And he slowly came to the same conclusion as Raphael. But he still didn't really understand. "So? You've still got that emergency beacon thing on your t-phone, right?"

Raph's eyes widened as he realized Casey was right. He immediately activated the beacon. He began to pace rapidly up and down aisles of refrigerated crates, but Casey stopped him.

"Come on man, relax! Your brothers will be here soon! Besides it's not like we'll be here long enough to freeze."

"Maybe you won't." Raph admitted softly.

Casey raised an eyebrow. "Huh?"

"I'm a fucking turtle Casey! I'm cold blooded! I can survive ten, maybe fifteen minutes tops in an icebox like this! If my brothers don't get here by then—" Almost as if to illustrate his point, the cold began to sink in and he swayed a little. Casey came forward and immediately supported him.