XXXIII: Awards

(Daniel's POV)

He looks perfect from head to toe. The others may be in designer dresses and suits but he looks better than I thought possible. I wiped my sweaty hands on my tight black pants. Today is my first award show, I don't know how Joey does this. I'm not even the one nominated for an award.

The limo picked us up only a few minutes ago but I still checked my watch anxiously as we drove. The car was full of familiar faces; other YouTubers. Joey was making conversation with someone I couldn't remember the name of.

"OMG queen!" I hear from the opposite side of the car. I giggled as I saw Shane sitting there, posing. "Queen!" I echoed.

"Are you excited for the show?" He asked.

"Of course, and Joey better mention me in his acceptance speech or else." I teased loudly so Joey could hear from beside me.

Just as I hoped, he turned from his conversation. "Are you talking about me?"

"Yea, I was saying that your entire acceptance speech should be about how amazing I am." I flipped my imaginary hair and pursed my lips.

"You wish, pig. Besides, I'm probably not going to win."

Does he actually think that? Of course he'll win. He's the most talented guy on Earth, and the the Don't Wait video is  perfect.

"You're delusional, and adorable." I whispered and placed a small kiss on his blushing cheek.

The car pulled up to the arena where the show was taking place. The sight of photographers, fans, and A-list celebrities made my stomach churn. Everyone here is famous.

I exited the limo as gracefully as possible. Screaming was audible from every direction. Fans were crowded outside the barriers. Joey strolled over to some with a giddy smile spread across his face. I followed close behind.

They all know exactly who he is.

"Joey I voted for you 300 times!"

"Joey I love you!"

"Marry me Joey!"

And even some about me. I was shocked.

Nearly all of the fans wanted a picture with him and I. Apparently Janiel is a big deal?

(Joey's POV)

"On air in 1 minute." A voice said from a speaker. Everyone hustled back to their seat and fixed their hair. I did the same.

I acted calm but inside I was freaking out. The show is nearly half over and the Internet category is next. I've never won an award this big before. It would mean so much to me if I won.

What if I don't win though?
...what if I do win?
I don't have a speech prepared!

"Don't worry Joey, I know you'll win." Colleen whispered from behind me as if she knew what I was thinking. I turned around to thank her and she gave me a sympathetic smile.

Two women from a movie I've never seen entered the stage as the voice counted down. "On in 5...4...3...2..."

The women began reading the prewritten words.

"This has been a big year for Internet as we all know. Anyone of any age can become an overnight sensation. Some are brilliant singers while others drop condoms on a friend's head."

They paused as the audience laughed.

"Some people make crazy food while others teach make up tutorials. The nominations for top beauty guru are..."

The enormous screen behind them lit up and played a video introducing the nominees.

"And the winner is...Bethany Mota!"

The audience erupted in applause as Beth gracefully made her way up to the stage.

Her speech was quick and humble. I took mental notes in case I won my category. "Thank you all so much for voting for me!" She finished.

As she left, music played, and the two women read the teleprompter again.

"Another huge part of the Internet is music. Famous celebrities such as Justin Bieber and many many more, got their big break from simply posting a video on YouTube. The nominations for top music video are..."

The screen played the same video with different names.

"Ricky Dillon, Ordinary."

"Trevor Moran, I Wanna Fly."

"Joey Graceffa, Don't Wait."

I felt my face turning red as people cheered for me.

"And Troye Sivan, Wild."

Daniel squeezed my hand and I took a deep breath. The time it took to open the envelope felt like decades. 'Open it faster!' I wanted to scream. My hands shook as they read the name.

"Joey Graceffa! Don't Wait!"

Time froze and I sat there in shock for a moment. It felt as if my heart stopped. What do I do now? If it wasn't for Daniel pushing me up, out of my seat, I would have sat there like a deer in headlights all night.

I strolled nervously up to the stage with the hugest smile spread across my face. I was terrified but so happy I could cry.

One of the women handed me and award. I clutched it in my arms safely and thought of what to do. My mouth was open but no words came out. Where do I start?

"This is unreal." I acknowledge. Suddenly words spilled out of my mouth quicker than I could think of them.

"Thank you to everyone who voted for me and believed in me. Thank you for my friends who told me I would win even when I was sure I wasn't. And thank you to my viewers, who are like a second family to me."

I stopped to think and glanced around the arena. It was huge. I've never had this many people staring at me all at once. My nerves grew again but I pushed the thoughts away.

"This video means the world to me. It shows that no matter what you struggle with, you are strong. If you are here, on  Earth today, you are a warrior."

"I also think this shows how far the LGBT+ community has come. This issue is very important to me and I am extremely happy with what we have achieved. Not just me. Before, a music video with a same-sex love interest would never have gone far. No one would have let that happen. But now we have changed the world, and we will continue to do so."

"I need to thank one more person. My boyfriend, Daniel Preda. This man has changed my life. He has inspired me to be a better person and encouraged me to follow my passions. Everyone needs a person like this in their life, no matter what gender. Everyone needs someone who inspires them to be who they truly are."

"To everyone here and at home, don't ever give up and don't wait for the world to be ready. Change the world, not yourself."